• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

After firing my engine with an open header, I needed to come up with a solution for adding an exhaust for the S14 motor before tuning it.  I had an adapter plate for the header I bought from Lee at Massive years ago, just needed to fabricate everything back to the tail pipe.  The adapter was for 2" pipes, so I bought a universal 2" pre-bent exhaust pipe kit on eBay, a 2" "Y" pipe, a 2" resonator, some 2" exhaust clamps, and a 14" chop saw and went to work.

I copied the OEM routing and 3 piece configuration, basically building a 2 to 1 downpipe, a resonator center section and muffler.  I used the existing OEM muffler I had for the car and will later duplicate it in a 2" version.  I mocked everything up, and with the help of my brother, tack welded everything together.  We pulled it off the car and proceeded to weld it up completely.  Today I'll clean up the welds, spray some primer to keep it from rusting and press on the chrome tip for the muffler and re-install it.

Mark92131

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4078.JPG

• Like 7

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Epic 2002 day, today I figured I’d finish up the 02 from my motor swap 

Yesterday when the motor install was completed 2 things were apparent, 1 the Clutch Master was dead, 2 I was getting a lot of engine vibration 

I started early in the morning by lifting the front of the car to Jack stand height

Removed the Clutch Master and hose 

Rotated the front wheels to lock to move the center track rod out of the way, after 2 years the rod was resting on the transmission so it was sending vibrations right into the chassis, using my trusty Harbor Freight $19.99 grinder and massaged the transmission and also the top of the center rod for good measure,

IMG_3168.thumb.jpeg.427db87ff8b49b642f49abec516b5470.jpeg

IMG_3171.thumb.jpeg.905f41afeda024a8722af0fb82fdcb9c.jpeg

45 min later I have 3/32” (2.5mm) clearance. Now it was 9:45 so I drove out to Ireland Engineering and picked up the required parts.
I got home and started installing the clutch master. There are no capture nuts so it’s bolt through with a nut and washer inside the pedal box, without anything to hold the nut it took 50 min to get the top nut on…….undid the throttle cable for the hose bracket and installed everything else including the new hose. 
When everything was done I found out the new hose fitting style will not work with the Honda Slave Cylinder.
I then went about Removing EVERYTHING so I could install the old hose. 
Reinstalled Everything and figured out a shortcut in the top bolt (17 min) and reinstalled all of it and bled the system. 
Clutch feels great (7 years old on the master)
Vibration greatly reduced 

Done by 4:00pm

• Like 5

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

9 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

After firing my engine with an open header, I needed to come up with a solution for adding an exhaust for the S14 motor before tuning it

FYI Ireland Engineering has a complete locally fabricated header back stainless solution on the shelf, I saw it last week and it’s spectacular 

image.thumb.jpeg.33421370a8ccc3d1eb2e532802464c9a.jpeg

Detail shots 

IMG_3177.thumb.jpeg.707e144c3df532a6ca0834fb0af996b5.jpegIMG_3178.thumb.jpeg.3f276ff713361142f231de08c0eb5125.jpegIMG_3179.thumb.jpeg.2f0d707ad26c9ef6161112300eb11348.jpeg

the whole system was similar to this one they made for me

IMG_3302.thumb.jpeg.da73195f91e53a9e1ea84e05eb8aa3d7.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, its55 said:

As part of my new carpet project, im replacing one of the floor hole covers which was a bit rusty.

Don't you want to remove the rest of the old tar to get at the rest of the rust?

A stitch in time saves nine!

I found quite a bit of rust under mine and caught it just in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Don't you want to remove the rest of the old tar to get at the rest of the rust?

A stitch in time saves nine!

I found quite a bit of rust under mine and caught it just in time.

DO IT!

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

13 hours ago, chargin said:

FYI Ireland Engineering has a complete locally fabricated header back stainless solution on the shelf, I saw it last week and it’s spectacular 

image.thumb.jpeg.33421370a8ccc3d1eb2e532802464c9a.jpeg

Detail shots 

IMG_3177.thumb.jpeg.707e144c3df532a6ca0834fb0af996b5.jpegIMG_3178.thumb.jpeg.3f276ff713361142f231de08c0eb5125.jpegIMG_3179.thumb.jpeg.2f0d707ad26c9ef6161112300eb11348.jpeg

the whole system was similar to this one they made for me

IMG_3302.thumb.jpeg.da73195f91e53a9e1ea84e05eb8aa3d7.jpeg

The Candela Mfg shots are of the KoogleWerks header. Mine is two years old now I think.

27 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

The Candela Mfg shots are of the KoogleWerks header. Mine is two years old now I think.

yes, they look very similar, the flange is different for S14, I have a friend who is almost done with his S14 swap locally as well 

Great job on yours 

Edited by chargin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 0257 said:

DO IT!

I did this in my restoration.  Get a larger stainless steel pan, like something you'd see in a commercial kitchen or buffet, throw in a bunch of dry ice, but smash it with a hammer so it's almost snow.  Dump in Isopropyl Alcohol, and mix it slushy.  Use a hand trial to apply it to the old tar.  Just let it sit for 10-15 minutes and you'll hear it start popping like popcorn.  Then use s steel scrapper to easily remove the old tar.  I was able to remove everything in less than 2 hours.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chargin said:

I did see the Kooglewerks S14 header when I was ordering some parts from them.  Beautiful, but pricey at $2K and then you need to fabricate the resonator and side exit muffler.  My homemade version was $350 including the chop saw, good for now.

Mark92131

• Like 4

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 hours ago, QtheGenius said:

what's your setup?  KoogleWerks header and Ireland piping after that?

I have the header and the KoogleWerks exhaust with a center exit.  

Its the Street quiet version not the Race version, still a bit loud though.

Not cheap but both pieces are very well done and beautiful. 

I bought both when he first released them so I missed the price increase. 

Maybe $200. less on both pieces.

My oldest is a metal fabricator and was impressed with the quality and price.

He does  custom Vintage V8 stuff. Cost run 4k to 8k. 

I think the KoogleWerks header is the nicest one out there and the exhaust is as nice

as any I've seen. Plus Forrest is a really good guy and answers all of my dumb questions.   

Edited by jp5Touring
  • Like 1

In the process of tidying up all the hundreds of things before the 76 is road ready, decided to tackle the slight trans leak

at the rear of the 4 speed. Seals and a good cleanup was done prior to install, so was a new seal torn? Worn output hub?

No, a little more of a mystery. Another mystery... how did I miss the damage? Ah well, stuff happens, not perfect here by a long shot.

Transleak.thumb.jpg.d00d9a73e40704a10af71c3f3b8aba52.jpg

At some point in its history, something abraded away at the shift shaft boss... loose guibo nut, debris hung in the hub? 

No telling, but that tiny hole was producing a small mess. 

Doubled up the shift shaft seal and the leak diminished greatly, but was still leaking after running a few minutes. Not a lot, but enough. JB welded the area after a good cleaning. Hopefully the seep will be contained.

Tomorrow will have a tale to tell....

Transleakfix.thumb.jpg.9882364641d208245a4e903e012646c1.jpg

Tomorrow came as expected... thankfully. And the hack repair worked! 

Edited by OldRoller
add'l info
  • Like 3

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC