• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

15 minutes ago, tzei said:

Took apart my heater box. Tested core to 1.3 bar so it wasn't cause to leakage... but hose between valve & core was brittle and hardened so that has to be it. While cleaning parts up it became very real that i need new material to seal flaps. Quest for seal begun but can't really find what suits. And old article 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/73/32/

was nowhere to be found. Bugger. Any ideas to seal flaps?

The heater box refurb article is still in tech articles last I looked. I think the pics are gone but I've posted the pdf with the proper pics a number of times.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I called my mechanic that has been refurbishing my car for over 4 years, asking when it will be done. 

Answer: "Maybe another week" 

It is getting closer, but man, I have not driven or seen my car completely together for just about 4 years. When I initially dropped it off, he told me I would be driving it by the end of the summer. I unfortunately didn't clarify which summer of any specific year. 

Now that it is getting close, it is getting even harder to wait. Orange peel is getting buffed out and trim will be put back on hopefully in the next few days.

But then its how long it will take to set the sound proofing, carpet, seats, steering wheel, shift knob, door cards and hardware.. all in boxes and ready and waiting to be done. 

This is killing me. But I know it will be worth the wait. 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

17 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

When I initially dropped it off, he told me I would be driving it by the end of the summer. I unfortunately didn't clarify which summer of any specific year. 

A friend of mine answers the same way anytime he is asked when a project will be done. “It’ll be done Monday, I just can’t tell you which one”. 

Hang in here, it’ll be worth the wait. 

5 hours ago, tzei said:

Took apart my heater box. Tested core to 1.3 bar so it wasn't cause to leakage... but hose between valve & core was brittle and hardened so that has to be it. While cleaning parts up it became very real that i need new material to seal flaps. Quest for seal begun but can't really find what suits. And old article 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/73/32/

was nowhere to be found. Bugger. Any ideas to seal flaps?

I got a full rebuild kit from Blunt...

Beyond that, it's just foam.  Maybe the fabric store- that's where I would look here locally.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

3 hours ago, irdave said:

I got a full rebuild kit from Blunt...

Beyond that, it's just foam.  Maybe the fabric store- that's where I would look here locally.

The flaps are a pain at least the ones to the screen are, they don’t close that well, you need to carefully trim the foam to get the best seal possible.

1 hour ago, tomorrowcalling said:

Stratos Replica - ListerBell STR

Nice. What are you going to use for an engine? (He says in an off topic kind of way). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

17 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Nice. What are you going to use for an engine? (He says in an off topic kind of way). 

Surely an Alfa Romeo 3.2 V6. Prettier and sounding better than the original Ferrari engine they put in them. 

One of my favourite cars of all time hands down. 

You're going to hate me but I'm going to use a Mitsubishi 6A12.  2 litre V6 DOHC Mivec.  about the same power as the original Dino and the 2.5 Alfa that most people use, but it means it runs in the same class as my 2002 for many events so I can mix & match as required.  It has the same firing order as the Dino & Alfa so it should sound right. Also staying at 2 litres  puts a hard stop on the about of power it will make, I've been racing rally cars for over 20 years, I'd like to think I have some clues but I also know my limitations, too much power and a very short wheel base is a recipe for meeting banks, fences, large drops .....

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, tomorrowcalling said:

You're going to hate me but I'm going to use a Mitsubishi 6A12.  2 litre V6 DOHC Mivec.  about the same power as the original Dino and the 2.5 Alfa that most people use, but it means it runs in the same class as my 2002 for many events so I can mix & match as required.  It has the same firing order as the Dino & Alfa so it should sound right. Also staying at 2 litres  puts a hard stop on the about of power it will make, I've been racing rally cars for over 20 years, I'd like to think I have some clues but I also know my limitations, too much power and a very short wheel base is a recipe for meeting banks, fences, large drops .....

No haters here. That sounds like a good choice anyway. You need something robust and fixable if you are competing. Leave the Italian engines for the garage queens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

More minor accomplishments ?

Installed new pass seat belt so now both shiny and new

And aligned my driver door striker and thrilled to see door and body dead on smooth. Closes with a small nudge to shut. Pass door next

Fix was to simply loosen 4 screws on B pillar striker unit and move it inward about 1/8”. Then cranked down hard on screws

0423ACBB-B986-41BD-85F4-1C5AB1F0DF63.thumb.jpeg.4cd138c60cca160d1844a4a50187efd0.jpegAD8BD39B-F125-449C-A219-F51E89882675.thumb.jpeg.9d0f99c720afa85752d91ac012f10b50.jpeg

• Like 3

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com