• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I reinstall idler arm bushings???

I'm in the process of putting my suspension back together and have NO IDEA how I'm going to put those big blue idler arm bushing pieces through that tiny tube. I have a 1974 BMW 2002 and the part numbers are 10787015 and 32211115116  I've considered hammering them in but I'm afraid I'll break the blue plastic shell in the process.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20170518_094839.jpg

Edited by murphykevin15

well, according to autohaus az you have the correct bushings (Blunt sold me mine : )

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn.aspx?sku=10787015-32211115116&vehicle=1974 BMW 2002 E10&brand=Genuine BMW&utm_source=google&utm_medium=nonpaid&utm_campaign=froogleSKU_BMW&gclid=CMvG05_i-dMCFQ5rfgodci0Hag

help is sure to follow... but if you get impatient, try the google search feature.  I seem to remember a similar problem recently, unfortunately I do not recall the trick/technique.

Kevin,

They are a PITA.  If the subframe is in the car, I'd recommend trying a big C-clamp or a rif of the bushing installation tool found mentioned often here on the FAQ and R3V (rod, washers, nuts).   If the subframe is out of the car, you can jerry-rig it in a press.  Took me three minutes that way.

Edited by AceAndrew

Can you use the threaded rod and big washers method to wind the bushings into place? Similar to how we install subframe bushings with the frame in the car?

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I used a spring compressor. I pulled the top off the compressor and ran the long bolt through the hole and put the top back on. Lube the bushings and inside of the subframe with tons of liquid soap and start turning. It will slide in. Make sure you have the top of the bushing fully covered with a large washer or else the compressor claw will damage the bushing. Good luck!

mike tunney

I removed the black insert and used a razor blade to add more taper to the edge of the blue plastic and then tapped them in with a plastic mallet. It did not look like they would fit but this worked.

Been here done that with my 74 just a few months ago. 

Here's the secret: 

1) Dawn liquid, plenty of it, on both bushings

2) Dawn liquid applied by my finger inside the idler arm

3) 6 inch? 1/2" threaded bolt with nut and at least 2 washers, one on each end, maybe one bigger since these bushing ends are big.

4) Insert bolt through bushing, idler arm and second bushing.

5) Ratchet for the top of the bolt and wrench that fits the nut on the other end.

Line it all up and start ratcheting. StevenC22 had it right. Just go for it. It works,

Don't be light on the Dawn liquid!

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

When I cleaned my sub frame it looked brand new, no VISIBLE  crack in motor mount. I thought I had gotten off easy but the words of the FAQ haunted me- "when it cracks not if it cracks", so I decided to reinforce it. When I ground the paint off to weld it up sure enough the was a little 5/8" hairline crack.

Glad I took the time to  do it now

• 1 year later...

1974 tii...

New blue idler arm bushings are in, well seated, and in good order.  After insertion, the arm fits within the bushings well and moves freely.  After tightening the arm to ~60 ft lbs, the arm is virtually impossible to move by hand.  Seems as if the arm should be rather free-moving at this point.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Larry