• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I do about this pilot bearing?

Here's the dilemma:

1.) The only pilot bearing puller I could find with a small enough I.D. flexes and falls off the pilot bearing.

2.) Hammering any kind of medium behind the pilot bearing won't work because it comes through the holes of the missing balls.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing out?

Thanks

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

'74 Verona

Just now, halboyles said:

Have you checked with your local car parts places?  They have loaner tools including pullers of all sizes often for free!

I have and they don't have a puller that supports a small enough I.D.

'74 Verona

just did mine with a slide hammer and single hook.   takes a bit of force all around..  Throw the new bearing in the freezer for 30 minutes.  makes it easier to install

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

22 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Slide hammer with a hook attachment may get it. 

5 minutes ago, tinkwithanr said:

just did mine with a slide hammer and single hook.   takes a bit of force all around..  Throw the new bearing in the freezer for 30 minutes.  makes it easier to install

*grumble* neither auto parts store has a hook attachment. Might have to buy online... 

What about a blind puller?

https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Internal-Bearing-Puller-Hammer/dp/B016W8GSQ8/

'74 Verona

When using the puller that is pictured above, to keep the arms from pulling thru, slip in the largest Allen wrench you can between the arms. Worked for me many times when otherwise the puller just pulled out.

pilotbearing.jpg

Edited by 02tom

I had the same pilot bearing in my 2000ti. I ended up using a peanut butter sandwich to create the hydraulic pressure required to push it out. stuff it with a PB sandwich and pound it in there.

Hmmm, however you are missing a few bearings so it may not of worked after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Naz said:

I had the same pilot bearing in my 2000ti. I ended up using a peanut butter sandwich to create the hydraulic pressure required to push it out. stuff it with a PB sandwich and pound it in there.

Hmmm, however you are missing a few bearings so it may not of worked after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy or smooth? Which works the best?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

How about smearing some JB weld into the race to fill the missing bearing holes and seal it up. Then get the PB and bread out. 

The other thing I thought of was running in some big self tapper screws which might get enough of a bite to get a grip on. Secure a steel strap across the bearing and pull on that?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/