• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 Schwarz 1600 on eBay

ray_

5 hours ago, Flunder said:

The owner should clean clean clean and then clean it some more... and then offer it on BaT. It is just too special a car for eBay...

I think you hit the nail on the head! You are exactly right and I think the seller would do well to do just that. Ebay is too finicky and BaT has a lively discussion and give and take.

Just my opinion...

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

15 hours ago, Flunder said:

The owner should clean clean clean and then clean it some more... and then offer it on BaT. It is just too special a car for eBay...

I agree - surprised they went eBay for the sale. But BaT did an article on the eBay listing, it must not have had much of an effect. I was surprised when it stagnated at 22,100, and then didn't sell at 26k. That car is a time machine, but if it was mine, I think i'd have been plenty happy to sell it for 26k.....

The price is ridiculous. At least that's the way I see it as I've been around 1600s since the early 80s. I've paid $500 - $900 for cars in similar shape through the late 90s. And, I've seen similar and earlier 1600s at the wrecking yards up until about 15 years ago. This is all becoming pure speculative nonsense.

While this is a nice car, I believe it is missing the small bumperettes as equipped on the 66-67 cars unless it is some weird transitional bumper between 67 and 68. If I had my way around this car, I'm sure I can find other non-original parts.

This price inflation phenomenon has been most evident in the Porsche world where the once affordable 60s era 912 is trading for 60K + and a similar vintage 911 is over 200K.  Fifteen years ago you could have bought the same cars between 8K - 16K. And, I won't even go into the 356 realm.

At this rate, most of you will be priced out of owning an 02, and this board will only be reserved for those who can afford membership at an exclusive country club.

As the prices climb, originality will become  increasingly more relevant. And those of you (many , if not most 02 owners) who have turned your cars into Frankensteins might regret having done it. But, the 02 world was always about modifying the cars and having some fun compared to those Aston Martin, Alfa and Porsche purists. Those people have taken it to the other extreme. Sure, the cars are beautiful, but the arrogance associated with many of their owners and is simply unfounded.

• 2 months later...

Now on B.A.T.

I love this car.   

So have we discussed when U.S.-imported examples stopped using the Euro-style rear bumper -- i.e., incorporates license plate lights in the bumper -- and started using the U.S.-style license plate lights?

This car was manufactured April 17, 1967 and I am absolutely inclined to accept this car's rear bumper as original to this car.  But my own 1967 -- sold ca. 1975 -- and the majority of 1967 models (6 volt) I've come across during the last 40+ years, had the U.S.-style license plate lights, flanking the plate.

If you have a 1967 model 1600-2 (VIN below about 1560001), what's your car's VIN (and manufacturing date if you have it) and what style of license plate illumination does it have?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

So have we discussed when U.S.-imported examples stopped using the Euro-style rear bumper -- i.e., incorporates license plate lights in the bumper -- and started using the U.S.-style license plate lights?

This car was manufactured April 17, 1967 and I am absolutely inclined to accept this car's rear bumper as original to this car.  But my own 1967 -- sold ca. 1975 -- and the majority of 1967 models (6 volt) I've come across during the last 40+ years, had the U.S.-style license plate lights, flanking the plate.

If you have a 1967 model 1600-2 (VIN below about 1560001), what's your car's VIN (and manufacturing date if you have it) and what style of license plate illumination does it have?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Jan 26 1967, VIN 1515129

My car has european in bumper license plate lights. However, my car had the larger early bumper over riders (not the super cool small euro ones like my 66).

I love this car, but in other areas sadly I agree with SLAVS.  I’m seeing people ask 5K for their rusted non running parts cars that have already had everything of value picked from them.  It seems like just yesterday the consensus on the FAQ was that a non-running car wasn’t worth much more than 500 dollars.  I turned down a 69 in 2001 for 500 because too much work, non-running.  Today I would be all over that car and be happy.  I sold my 72 two years ago, with the way prices are rising I undersold it by 6K if sold today. (at the time I thought I did great) Now I regret my decision, I miss that car.  So now I’m searching for another. So if anyone in SO CAL knows of a 69 or earlier sitting around in need of restoration (reasonable price) please let me know. message me. (Please) Thanks.

Edited by 72pdx02

1 hour ago, 72pdx02 said:

So if anyone in SO CAL knows of a 69 or earlier sitting around in need of restoration (reasonable price) please let me know. message me. (Please) Thanks.

There are still sane deals out there and I truly do wish you the best in finding what you are looking for but an old country song lyric was going through my head as I read that last part.

George Strait - Ocean Front Property

"I got some ocean front property in Arizona
From my front porch you can see the sea
I got some ocean front property in Arizona
If you'll buy that I'll throw the golden gate in free"

2 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

So if anyone in SO CAL knows of a 69 or earlier sitting around in need of restoration (reasonable price) please let me know. message me. (Please) Thanks.

From what I've seen, the current market* in SoCal for such a car is $4-6k in reasonably-complete condition, and the good cars/deals are snapped-up in hours. Cars that have been molested and refurbished over time range beyond that. -KB