• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An you thought '02 prices were getting crazy

Mike Self

7 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

I buy cars that I want to OWN and spend as much money as I think they are worth to ME.  The average number of years I own a car is about 10, the average number of years on my 02's 30.  Believe me when the '70 gets sold it is going to be for a huge loss compared to what I have spent on it over the last 43 years.  People own cars for all sorts of reasons, from basic transportation to retirement investments.  Very seldom do the basic transportation cars wind up being good investments.  Decide what you want to own and go for it.  Just do your research and think about it carefully, 

If you want a perfect Tii and you are not an above average mechanic with a lot of spare time on your hands you can't buy a rusty old Tii and make it perfect for the price of a perfect one that is already done.  Yes $45,000 is a ton of money for a Tii but if you spend $15,000 for a nice driver, strip it down and rebuild everything, new paint, upholstery, repaint/re-plate everything and do all of the mechanical work yourself you will easily spend another $20-25,000 in cash to do it.  That means you get to pay yourself $5,000 for about 250-300 hours of labor ( about $16.50/hr).  If this is what you do for fun then you are in great shape, if you are trying to make money at this you are probably better off taking a 2nd job at McD's.    

+1 on all of the above.  I  could have had my car done years ago had I parked a wheel barrow full of cash (or several wheel barrow's of cash) at various shops, but then it wouldn't be a hobby for me.  Unless these cars go into another price escalation for the reasons stated above would be difficult to actually make money as a business. Somehow, some seem to do it though I really don't know how.

If this is what you do for fun then you are in great shape

That's it!  And Byron, in your tii example, I'd end up $60k into the $50k car. 

That said, the $2k E46 that's going to soak up another $3k in parts will be a really good deal

if it turns out to be the mostly- trouble- free 5 year commuter that the E36 has been....  

it's all relative.

And FUN!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

A friend reminds me once in a while that "Multiple realities co-exist". My reality of the exact same event or object or whatever is always going to be different from your's. Who's right? That's one of the wonders of life. Love it.

My wife can't understand how car enthusiasts can be so damned enthusiastic about cars. Other people love their boats. I'm into both. Family and home come first.

This thread has been quite fun to follow for me. Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

19 hours ago, TobyB said:

I'd end up $60k into the $50k car

Happens all the time,  Starting Vast projects with Half-Vast planning seems to be a common problem. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

So you're saying I may have gone too far building my e21 Tokyo-Drift Tribute?

58ee6d51efabf_TokyoDrifte12.thumb.jpg.82999e9584cab69f88c547455498562b.jpg

Ray was advising me...I probably needed a little more adult supervision.

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, Preyupy said:

The fact you CAN does not always mean you SHOULD

Ray was telling me differently.... things like, "This thing is gonna be sooooo rad..." and  "Those green Talbots really set it off..."  , or  "It needs more stickers..."

I'm only into it for about what Toby was saying.. $50-$60K.... I should be able to break even, right?   

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

That paint had better be metallic....

Half-Vast planning 

What is this 'planning' thing you speak of, Byron????

t

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL