• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weber 32/36 vacuum port

DM914

I've a '76 in CND so no smog issues -  wondering about vacuum connections to the carb and manifold -  this car came from TX originally so their are a couple of ports into the manifold that are plugged -  the replacement Weber 32/26 I acquired has a vacuum port at the base it says is for vacuum advance ( which my distributor doesn't have )   should I just plug it off ?  

Second question -  engine valve cover PCV type port - was originally running to the old carb air cleaner of the weber -  I was thinking of running that through a oil catch can canister -  the output side of the canister would I run that into the carb to re-burn the fumes  ?

The car still has it vapor canister up under the rear parcel shelf -  that looks like it connects from a vent on the fuel filler tube -  then I can't trace where it goes from their -  I haven't found any good descriptions or diagrams of where it goes... 

The fuel tank looks like it has a fume vapor management port - this has been plugged off at the fuel tank and then there is a 3/8" hose that runs up to the engine bay -  thinking this was for a canister of some kind - or into a recirculation air pump etc...   should I do anything with this ?  could I run that through the same oil catch can canister that I could fill with charcoal ?  

Sorry no pictures ( as most is currently pulled apart )  but any help is appreciated..  

Plug any vacuum ports you do not use, vacuum leaks are never desired.

Catch cans are fine, the environmentally responsible thing to do is run it through your carb and burn it up but others just vent it to the atmosphere, mine goes to the air cleaner and I can't detect any difference in performance either way.

The vapor canister has a hose that goes to the charcoal canister in your engine compartment and from there to your air cleaner, I have no Idea how complete your system is so some of that may be missing on your car.

The only connections on the tank itself should be the sender/pickup that goes to your carb through the passenger compartment via a plastic fuel line, and the return line that goes to a port that is built into the tank, the return fuel is diverted via a valve next to the carb and travels via a steel line that runs under the car (these are often plugged by PO's when the valve is removed for unknown reasons, probably thinking it is part of the smog system, I have found that if you remove it the fuel tends to boil when you shut down the car).

Hope this helps.

74 Golf

If you are running a distributor without vacuum advance just plug the port on the carburetor.  In '76 there was a fuel return line from a pressure regulator at the carburetor back to the fuel tank, that is most likely the extra port on the fuel tank.  The vent line that comes out of the fuel filler neck should go to the vapor tank under the rear shelf then got vented to the air cleaner.  The early cars just ran the vent line from the filler neck to a hole in the floor of the trunk right in the middle of the car below the trunk latch (under the brace that supports the trunk floor panels). 

All of the ports on the intake manifold except the one to the brake booster should be plugged.  I would recommend running the breather hose from the valve cover into a catch can, you can then either just let the can vent to atmosphere or run a hose back to the air cleaner.  There is no PCV valve in the system.    

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

What I'd do/did.

Tear out all the smog items to clean up the engine bay. Plug the vaccuum on the carb. 

Run the valve cover to a catch can with steel wool in it and if you want you can still run it back to the carb (less oil going in the carb that way) or just leave it. 

Vent the fuel line to atmosphere or assess the system and refurb it to working order. 

6 hours ago, Preyupy said:

If you are running a distributor without vacuum advance just plug the port on the carburetor.  In '76 there was a fuel return line from a pressure regulator at the carburetor back to the fuel tank, that is most likely the extra port on the fuel tank.  The vent line that comes out of the fuel filler neck should go to the vapor tank under the rear shelf then got vented to the air cleaner.  The early cars just ran the vent line from the filler neck to a hole in the floor of the trunk right in the middle of the car below the trunk latch (under the brace that supports the trunk floor panels). 

All of the ports on the intake manifold except the one to the brake booster should be plugged.  I would recommend running the breather hose from the valve cover into a catch can, you can then either just let the can vent to atmosphere or run a hose back to the air cleaner.  There is no PCV valve in the system.    

Make sure that you either plug the fuel return line up front in the engine compartment or back at the tank.  The PO of my 1975 forgot to plug it and when I filled up the tank for the first time at Costco, it started to pull gas from the tank and dumped a gallon on the ground before a fixed it with only thing I had, a golf tee from my bag.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

There is a lot of good advice above.

To it, I'll add, plug the vacuum advance port with a vacuum advance distributor eventually.

They do good things for carburetted engine timing curves...

What I've found by trying both,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

thanks for all the great replies -  I think the second port into the gas tank is a fuel return not a vent - 

It does have the vent on the filler tube and my vapor canister is intact so I'll re-hook up or vent under the trunk floor ..