• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hagerty Insurance....who has delt with a claim?

arminyack

So as many of you know I got rear ended last week, by an uninsured driver. So I made my claim with Hagerty, and they have not exactly been too prompt about getting to me about confirming my coverage. I called for an update, and I was told that the estimate ($5700) seemed to high, and it had to be forwarded to an auditor for review. Now they are peppering me with questions on how I use the car, the estimated annual mileage, how many times per year I drive it to work, etc. I feel as if I answer one of these questions wrong they will deny my claim. Has anyone here ever delt with them, and knows the best way to approach this?

Ooo, +1.  Hope this turns out OK, because Hagerty's low premiums are attractive.

I would suggest reading your policy, and going from there.  But, yeeks...

Good luck,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Read the fine print. Is there a mileage allowance?  Is this for occasional use?  Historic vehicle coverage?  I'm not sure about Hagerty but some classic car policies cover for like 1000 miles a year or something like that. Low use. The idea behind the low premiums is the car is on the road less and less likely to be involved in an accident as opposed to a daily driver driven 15k miles per year. It sounds like they are confirming the details of their coverage and asking those questions. And yes MOST insurance companies are in the business to pay as few claims as they can so if you give them information that admits use beyond your coverage you will be at least partially denied. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

interested thread please keep us informed of how it goes, I have my three 2002s with hagerty's as well, we talked about limited mileage like to car shows and for pleasure...pleasure sure seems to cover a lot of area...in the end they never did ask me for the mileage on any of my cars so how will they know how many miles I've put on the cars...

did you give them the mileage on your car? the way I remember it was three thousand miles a year per car

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

When I first took out the policy, one of the fields to fill out on the online form was #of miles driven per yer. I put in 5,000 (Which is actually more than i drive it) After I filled out the application, I got a call from an agent, and they approved my policy. Fast forward 2 years later, and I put in the exact same information for the Alfa, and they call me...and decline to cover it! The only variable here was the cars value...I put in $10k for the BWM, and $20k for the Alfa. 

I to would like to know how it goes.  I am not currently insured with Hagerty, but was under the impression they would be easy to deal with.  I think its important to have documentation of your car.  Current pictures, and an appraisal would be helpful   I had a claim several years ago, and adjuster wanted to know why they were fixing such an old car...Bodyshop told them it was a very clean one.   No problems, they paid the claim.   

Also, why have always been reluctant to buy insurance without an agent.  They will go to bat for you.  5,700 doesnt seem to much for the damage your car sustained...However, if you have it insured for 10 K,  that is over half the value of the car, and they may look to total it.  

Sorry I am rambaling....good luck

1972 2002 Sahara
2017 228i

2019 F 250

arminyack...one more thing, when I took out the coverage I paid like $75 more to be able to get what was left of the car back if it was totaled...a basic 72/74 2002 was valued  at 20k and a 73 tii was at 25k....seems like I told them I drive each car a 100 are so miles every other week came out to less than 3000 miles a year...best of luck...Barney

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

A friend with a '72 3.0csi has had two claims with Hagerty so far, both from his car rolling down the driveway and hitting a tree across the street.  Yes, twice!  They paid out a good amount both times and he said it was really easy to deal with them.  This is why I went with Hagerty for my coupe.

I never had a claim with them, but I dropped Hagerty last month after having a policy with them for 10+ years. I purchased a new (to me) classic vehicle and they refused to add it to my existing policy because of Hurricane Matthew. I live 300 miles from the nearest point of the eastern coast. It didn't even rain anywhere near our county - my grass is freaking brown. I had my agent explore other providers and went with Infinity Ins. As with Hagerty, the do have stipulations for 'agreed upon value policies'. You can choose your annual mileage limits per year (1k, 3k, 5k, etc), required indoor storage, can not use it as your primary vehicle, can not drive it to work, etc. They also asked me how many shows/events I attend a year. My annual premium dropped 50%. I just added my 75' for an additional $47 yr. (multiple car discount).

As many have expressed already .. I'm interested in hearing how things develop in your claim.

i'm interested to hear the outcome as well. from what i hear from the vast majority of vintage car owners most classic car insurance companies are very easy to deal with fwiw.

i've had chubb for years now and haven't made a claim yet but anything else i've needed has been taken care of and i love my agent over there. i have my 71 insured for 35k agreed upon value with 0 deductible with 3k miles a year here in LA for $230 bucks a year

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

22 hours ago, nesky45 said:

Also, why have always been reluctant to buy insurance without an agent.  They will go to bat for you.  5,700 doesnt seem to much for the damage your car sustained...However, if you have it insured for 10 K,  that is over half the value of the car, and they may look to total it.  

I have been using Hagerty for about 14 years now and thankfully never filed a claim. I bought it through my local insurance agent who told me about Hagerty. They are listed as the agent. The policy is underwritten by Essentia Insurance Company. The policy also list Hagerty as the agent and Essentia as the insurance company. So does this mean that Hagerty is just an agent who deals with one or more insurance companies for it's policies? I pay my premium directly to Hagerty. 

Arminyack, good luck and I am hoping that they make good on your claim without too much hassle. If not, I may have to rethink my insurance preferences.

I had one claim with hagerty. First estimate was low. I called back and explained paint matching issues... they paid to repaint the entire car... Totally 100% satisfied, but like everything in life, you got to fight for it a little... they have a good reputation, stick to your guns. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Ok it took them 2 weeks....but I am good to go. Hagerty works differently with claims than I am used to...In the past I have taken my car for an estimate, send it in, then the insurance company cuts me a check. Not the case with Hagerty. They are working directly with the shop...I am kind of out of the loop.  They send a claims agent out the body shop to go over all the repairs, and require progress updates and pictures from the shop as things progress. The car goes in this saturday.