• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious...whats the fastest you have been in an 02?

jrhone

5 hours ago, TobyB said:

Huh.  130 seems pretty effortless, as long as there's not something like t1 at Spokane coming up...

Kind of like 160 did in the right seat of a Porsche GT3.

A 2002 can cruise at 110 all day, foot to the floor, with no problems, as long as everything's working right.

And yeah, the aero brick really kicks in at about 120- without the tailwind, I get into the 120's and never make it through.

I even tried regearing to get higher, and it doesn't matter- HP peak, torque peak, it takes a LOT of power to get a 2002 going much over 130.

t

I had a friend in the car, I was in a feisty mood, and I wanted to go fast. 

I didn't sustain 134mph for long, as this is a notorious private highway riddled with CHP. The tii was a new purchase, and I wanted to see what she could do. I was happy with the results. Also, I don't ever want to do it again in a 2002

I've taken the m5 up to 182mph on the same stretch of highway. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I did go about 115mph on the back straight at Mid-Ohio, with original engine and 4-speed  + DCOEs and 3.91 (past redline I think).  It didn't really feel that fast, as I was just struggling to hold off a Cayman behind me.  I'd initially powered past him coming out of the keyhole, and handling/skill advantage over it was quickly running out down the straight.

On the other hand, 115 mph on a 2-lane stretch of highway in the Arizona desert is a much scarier feeling (gotta do something to break up the boredom of straightaways forever).

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Speedo said 110, has the standard wheels so it may be fairly accurate.

Foot to the floor. Engine seemed comfortable at speed. 

4 speed 

32/36 Weber

3.6 Differential

I5 stretch just south of Salem Oregon heading to Albany 

So many bad seals I felt like I had my windows down and my sunroof was open.....even though it doesn't have one..

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I can comfortably hit 110, engine doing around 4K Rpm or a little less and I am not even breaking the speed limit. 

Might have something to do with living in the land of the metric (Australia) and having a speedo that reads in kmh!

But seriously, in my old Saab99 Turbo I took it up to 180kmh on several occasions and while the car was fine at that speed I still shudder to think of the foolishness of my youth in doing this, and would never do it again (unless in a controlled environment).  I imagine a 02 at 180kmh would be very light in the steering and am glad I did not have an 02 when I was young and foolish.  

ran my 74 up to 108...starting have thoughts of how I came to purchase the 2002 because of a  wrecking motorcycle in the past and I vowed to never go over a 100 in a 2002 again...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…