• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stabilize engine and fixing transmission leak

theNomad

14 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Why shucks, if it's a 4 speed, I just rest it on my chest and roll it off to the side. 

Yep - that's the (my) pull gearbox at-the-track method. Same with differentials. (We make a few mods on the race cars to make 'em easier to swap/service/install.) -KB

One more suggestion...note clearance between your fan and the radiator.  Even moderate engine wiggling will place the fan perilously close to (or into) the radiator, with unfortunate results...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It's out and other than having to remove a bunch of things i'd done before it was relatively painless. It was tough to pop it back and get it un-wedged so that it would drop down so I'm not looking forward to putting it back in, I'm sure it'll take the right combination of choice words.

So all looks fine but I do see this glob of sealant over this plate. Doesn't look stock - think this is the leak?

20160925_141751.jpg

Edited by theNomad

I'd wiped it out before the photo. It was dripping from the clutch opening and the front of the bell housing. It is hard to track.

It could have been coming from the oil channel around the guide sleeve at the top. Looks like if it was leaking it'd be channeled out the clutch fork hole by the inner ribs. 

Wondering why this sealant is here. I'm thinking I should dive in and clean it up. 

20160905_150512.jpg

10 hours ago, theNomad said:

So all looks fine but I do see this glob of sealant over this plate. Doesn't look stock - think this is the leak?

20160925_141751.jpg

That sealing cover has been tampered with before. Needs to be replaced. Someone had it removed before and it was installed wrong. When installing new one want to hit it lightly around its parameter with brass punch and hammer or with a disc/ object with same diameter.

Sealing Cover 23111606108

IMG_1756.JPG

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

6 hours ago, Buckeye said:

That sealing cover has been tampered with before. Needs to be replaced. Someone had it removed before and it was installed wrong. When installing new one want to hit it lightly around its parameter with brass punch and hammer or with a disc/ object with same diameter.

Sealing Cover 23111606108

What's the best way to remove it? I don't want to mess anything else up.

I hope i dont find a gouged up housing under there from someone prying it up

Edited by theNomad