• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No money to tune, Going it my own. Weber DCOE40-32's Schrick 292

2002Scoob

Hah. Man, that's either a giant turbo off a battle ship, or the tiniest wrench!

I'm feeling pretty confident that nothing could have possibly entered the system. I'm going to leave her as-is till I get a replacement ignitor, get a few second eyes on it, and go from there. I've waited this long, I can wait longer. 

I.E. is being Rad and helping me out with a replacement ignitor, I'll wait till then to do anything. 

Hmmm...

So, what do you guys think of this as a probable source of knocking??

f076292031265289d291f656ae7582ce.jpg

This rocker specifically, and a few others don't look to be exactly 'centered' on the valves....

And, in general, most of the rockers aren't centered on the cam lobes either.

560f663dd5b4f7a2b922aa662b14b2e5.jpg0220863b188b8aafcf1968c6df6d72d3.jpg023e5c9214dc0f71981c1fb10fcc75ec.jpgb820603fb185eaf60b3022e767131dfc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick take: In the first photo, it looks like the rocker arm is off to the side enough so that adjustment eccentric is not / may not be hitting the valve tip squarely or at all. That would be noisy. It also appears one of the rocker 'retainers' (sorry, correct name not coming to mind) may be installed backwards, such that the c-clip is on the incorrect side (if so, that will definitely push the rocker off to one side). In my experience, I.E. rocker arms may not be centered on the cam lobe, but never hang off the side when installed correctly. How much side-to-side play is there between rocker arms and the locking collars? HTH -KB

35 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Quick take: In the first photo, it looks like the rocker arm is off to the side enough so that adjustment eccentric is not / may not be hitting the valve tip squarely or at all. That would be noisy. It also appears one of the rocker 'retainers' (sorry, correct name not coming to mind) may be installed backwards, such that the c-clip is on the incorrect side (if so, that will definitely push the rocker off to one side). In my experience, I.E. rocker arms may not be centered on the cam lobe, but never hang off the side when installed correctly. How much side-to-side play is there between rocker arms and the locking collars? HTH -KB

+1 this....that does not look right at all!! I bet the eccentric isnt on the valve stem at all....which makes me wonder how close you are to popping the retaining collars, and dropping the valve into the combustion chamber.

.... To say that I am frustrated right now is an understatement. I've been as friendly and understanding with this mechanic as i can, and likely, to a fault. 

To pay a very premium price for work to be done properly from a mechanic that continued to stress his abilities, yet has not demonstrated being able to do the job properly is immensely frustrating. (The first time the job was "finished" he failed to order and installing new springs as requested at the beginning of the project) For it to be reassembled incorrectly the 2nd time over??? I'm beside myself. 

For those who have followed this project, this top-end rebuild done by Vogt Tuning Freiburg has me down for more than 2300 euros for the the machining, camshaft, springs, and assembly (1000+ more than what I communicated verbally was my budget). I personally did a lot of the legwork in supplying guides, rockers, and small parts.  I could have had a much higher quality build done cheaper elsewhere. And, it likely would have bolted up and worked. 

It's really disappointing to put so much time, effort, and focus on trying to get everything right that I can control, to have someone demand a high level of compensation for sub-par workmanship. 

Sorry for the angry rant.... I'm going to have another beer. 

RIght now I'm thinking paying for a second professional opinion, and then lawyering up if they confirm what I suspect. 

....crapola

Sure sux you won't be driving it this weekend, but at least you caught it before you killed it.

Hope you can find a proper mechanic to sort it out.  I was hoping to see you post a video of you Hooning it thru the streets of Freiburg...hopefully soon.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

When you build something it's better to done it by yourself. Even if you get something wrong, you can be pissed at yourself. And in the end you know what is 100% ok, and what worries you. And when something is wrong during drive you easily focus what might be wrong. When i redone my engine, I just give head machined surface with everything removed by myself. Except I reinstalled valves for machine shop reseal them properly... And even then i recheck everything... Better safe then sorry... 

Hope you get everything together alright so Ein neuer Autobahnbomber wird rasiert in Freiburg :)

Best regards

Blaz

Cleaned up the one rocker to remove all the assembly grease used, you can get an idea of the issue.

Retaining clip is definitely free of the bushing opposite the rocker lock.

Mechanic is enjoying a vacation in Italy till the end of the month, and wants me to wait till then so he can look at it first... Hopefully my head rebuild afforded him some nice bottles of Chianti in the mean time.

I'm thinking 'if you send your kid to day care and he keeps coming back with bruises, don't you find another day care?'

605b354926913b6e57e807ce74cd135f.jpg

DIY!!! Remove head, replace victor reinz(not good head seals) head seal with göetze and reassembly head by yourself. Ask someone from germany to borrow you the valve opener to get camshaft out and then it's easy ;)

Best regards

Blaz

19 minutes ago, downhillwolf said:

DIY!!! Remove head, replace victor reinz(not good head seals) head seal with göetze and reassembly head by yourself. Ask someone from germany to borrow you the valve opener to get camshaft out and then it's easy ;)

Trust me, I thought about doing just this. It's likely an easy fix just by turning over the motor till the rocker isn't under tension, re-positioning, and re-setting lash. 

BUT... I didn't shell out that much money to solve someone else's mistakes. And I don't want to give him the ability in the future, if something goes wrong, to blame my tinkering. Right now it's the Mechanic's mistake, and his responsibility to correct. As soon as I start taking apart what he put together, he's off the hook with full pockets no no warranty to honor. 

If he cut me a check refunding me his labor I might consider it. ;)

Edit- Or.... I start charging him my hourly rate. Which is higher than his, and I take lots of coffee breaks. :D

Edited by 2002Scoob