• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No money to tune, Going it my own. Weber DCOE40-32's Schrick 292

2002Scoob

21 hours ago, zinz said:

cc'ing the combustion chambers is to measure the volume of each to insure uniformity from one cylinder to another. Several ways to do it, but typically with a piece of plexiglass and a graduated cylinder or syringe. 

ccchamber.JPG

From The Google...

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-0611-cylinder-head-volumes/

Ed

Lord.... He assembled a head with rocker arms falling off of valve stems, and eccentrics with .7mm lash. I'm pretty sure he didn't or wouldnt go this far at all.

Edited by 2002Scoob

So, in regard to the rocker arm clearance, I just got off the phone with the helpful folks at Ireland who quoted rocker/rocker lock clearance should be 10thou. of an inch, which is .01, or .254mm, and that thread-locker use is recommended. 

I'm not going to even bother going to the garage to measure anymore as it's gotten mentally tiresome to find out this stuff, but re-watching the above leads me to believe there's at least a few that are way off. I'm going to go back to polishing my bike rack parts now :(

Scoob--Sorry to hear about your motor problems. I would think that there should be a reliable mechanic somewhere in Freiburg.  IIRC GS-Tuning (Gerhard Schneider) was based there in the seventies and had success in the German Touring Car Championship.  But that was over 40 years ago.  I tried to look them up when we visited Freiburg several years ago but no luck.  Did manage to locate some records for some ancestors from Nussloch tho.  Good luck, head assembly can't be that difficult.

Hey guys... Sadly no progress... Except making the most ridiculously fancy roof racks imaginable, haha.

I do have a few questions...

1. Is it possible to remove rocker shafts without removing the head? Say, if the front subframe were to be dropped? Or are the head bolts acting as a clamp?

2. I'm digging through the box of all the small parts, seals, etc that I gave to this guy to use, and I found this bag of stuff-

5f64ef14e997eac361ea1ec729625cd2.jpg

At least the small washer looks like the aformentioned crush washer for the oil rail... And the one in the head definitely looks like an over-squished original. What about all the other seals?

Oh.

And they keep getting prettier :)

a91805e8db8af8d3283e6f9aa39d74e8.jpg

Got rid of the big locking knobs and used stainless hardware instead. Filled in the hex hole with black hot glue as a theft deterrent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1- no, the head bolts go through the half- moons cut in the shaft.  Pull the head. It's not so hard.

2- the thingus in the center is supposed to go on the upper left- hand distributor housing bolt.

It seals it so oil doesn't seep out, as that bolt is open to the rockers, and thus, 60 psi oil.

The crush washerS (yes, 2, one on top and one on bottom) are a bit bigger, and all aluminum.  You must have 2.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

4 minutes ago, TobyB said:

hth

t

You almost always do, sir.

If the shafts could be pulled with the head on was just a thought, would give me an excuse to do a few other things if the motor vacated the engine compartment. mainly paint/rust attention. 

The car is hopefully going to either the dealer (they have a part-time oldtimer expert) or an automotive engineering appraiser for documentation and a repair estimate this week.  

I'll check to see if he replaced that seal you're talking about with the dist. housing bolt.

As for the other metal washers and the big rubber O-Rings, any guesses? It was all part of the Ireland Engineering M10 upper gasket set.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-valvetrain/02upgas.html

I always have a pile like that left over- at this point, several dozen of all of 'em.

I think some are for variations in the intake, and at least one is for a plug none of us ever pull...

But yes, except for the dist housing seal, that looks like the normal leavings from a 'full' kit.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

16 hours ago, TobyB said:

2- the thingus in the center is supposed to go on the upper left- hand distributor housing bolt.

It seals it so oil doesn't seep out, as that bolt is open to the rockers, and thus, 60 psi oil.

Toby good sir, 

When looking at the motor from the passenger side of the car, are you referencing the bolt on top that's further away from you, or the bolt on bottom, that is closest? I'm not seeing any use of this crush seal anywhere, so I'm guessing my All-star Mechanic did not replace it. 

hmmm?

No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes
01 Gasket Asbestos Free   1     12111734032 $1.67    
02 Hex bolt M6X45 1     07119912327 $0.22   ENDED
03 Washer 6,4 1     07119931044 $0.58   ENDED
04 DISTRIBUTOR FLANGE   1     12111252932 $70.62    
07 O-ring   1     12118530508 $1.67    
08 WAVE WASHER B6 4     07119932072 $0.09   ENDED
09 Hex nut M6-8-ZNS 1     07119922832 $0.37   ENDED
09 Hex nut M6 1     07119905543 $0.38    
10 WAVE WASHER B8 1     07119932095 $0.09    
11 Hex bolt M8X30-ZN 1     07119913662 $0.22    
12 Hex bolt M6X50 3   07/1977 07119912337 $0.91   ENDED
12 Hex bolt M6X50 8.8 ZNS3 3     07119902993 $0.59    
13 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH M10X1 CON. 1     61311351799 $11.99   ENDED
13 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH 0,2 -0,5 /M10X1 1     61311350385 $11.38   +core
13 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH M12X1,5 1     61311354274 $14.96   +core
14 Hex bolt M6X20 1     07119913477 $0.18   ENDED
14 Hex bolt M6X20 1     07119913016 $0.60    
15 Washer-gasket ZÜNDVERTEILER 1     12110002735 $1.71    
Notes

Sorry Toby, maybe more coffee (or less) would help, number 14 and 15 are the subject parts, not sure what the o-rings are for but the aluminum rings go under the heater nipple at the back of the head and if I remember right there is a screw in casting plug no one removers under the can gear.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Whups, sorry Tom, you were right. I've been having real problems with the Gaggia recently.  Grounds everywhere...

And Scoob, that looks like the right washer, from the outside...  wonder where it came from...

t

• 4 weeks later...

Hiii Guys.

CAUTION>>>>>>> RANT AHEAD

So, the day (or at least one of them) came where my 'mechanic' Christian Vogt of Vogt Tuning Freiburg came back from vacation. 

A little back-story. I work in the cycling industry designing/guess-gineering ( I'm in Industrial Designer by trade) high end Mountain Bikes and other cycling products.  Mr. Vogt knows this, and hilariously came rolling up to my workshop dressed-to-impress with a friend's borrowed E-Mountain bike and a full kit as if he were about to hit  the trails. If I weren't as dead serious and ticked as I've been, I'd have laughed. 

Before this, he had insisted the car must be brought to his shop for him to inspect, which i countered with a sincere 'no way' till I have his proposed solution to the issue in writing. I told him ANY additional communication needs to be in writing. 

Anyway, accompanied a fair amount of back and forth debate as to why his screw ups and sloppy workmanship wasn't really his fault (it is...) he proceeded to pull out a flashlight and calipers, and pretended to inspect the head by measuring only the diameter of the rocker shafts. Which, btw. should have absolutely nothing to do with the actual tolerances that are WAAY off. I.E. Valve clearances, rocker lock clearances, and the fact that shit is plain installed backwards and with the care of an orangutang. Strike that.... The Jeremy Clarkson jokes have given them a bad wrap... They're actually really quite intelligent. Poor Orangutangs. 

He then proceeded to go on that it should be my responsibility to check his work and to make sure that everthing was installed correctly before starting. As in, I should take responsibility for completely assembling the motor with a poorly assembled head. (to which I counter, I shouldn't have to double check work that I paid good  money to be done right. Also, this guy put SO MUCH Liquid Moly paste on everything you couldn't see poorly assembled components if you had to).

He also had the audacity to suggest that I could have intentionally sabotaged my own car by 'taking a rubber mallet' to the rocker locks, and screwing with the tolerances. (inside thoughts censored... but you can guess) Or that how I transported the head back to the shop, or perhaps my carelessness in installing the head could have caused such tolerances to be out-of-wack. (head was transported encased in a metric crap-ton of cardboard in a bicycle trailer ridden gingerly back to my workshop. It was handled and installed with the loving care of a first-time father cradling his newborn son.)

More and more debate and finger pointing.... He goes on to claim that because I've used the internet, and crowd-sourced opinion of forums to not only gauge the quality and practices of his work, as well as educate myself on 2002's, being this is my first... He claimed that by putting his workmanship and details of the project on the internet, that is what lead to our relationship being spoiled; or as he calls it, pissing on his feet.  And, because of this, that's why his last rebuild was so sloppily done. 

___

Anyway. His rocker shaft diameter measuring finished and his excuses running dry, he claimed to be able to fix the problem WITHOUT removing head bolts, taking apart the motor, and reversing the work I had done, and WITHOUT having to drop the engine from the engine bay.

To this, I kindly bet him dinner that it would be next to impossible, and wholly illogical and a repair solution. So I again replied, put your resolution solution in writing as to what he thinks is a fair and just solution for both parties. 

And I sent him on his way. 

Followed by some of the homework I've been doing for the last month documenting all communication from email and SMS, creating a timeline of events, and creating a cohesive Issue of complaint, to which, for all of your amusement, is also attached. 

Yes... I know I'm becoming an asshole about this all... But 7 months later and still no running car will do that to you. This customer is tired of getting toyed with and dicked around and overcharged.  I've got nothing to do all winter if the car is in storage, so I might as well prepare to go full nuclear. *sigh* Too many lessons learned with this guy. 

Head Repair Resolution_Juarez_vs_Vogt Tuning.pdf

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^CHECK IT OUT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by 2002Scoob