• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I should start making my own parts... (things are getting expensive)

TobyB

This is listed on eFay for $20 with free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-16mm-5-8-Car-Heater-Valve-Tap-Universal-Type-Hot-Rod-Cable-Type-Inline-/331880893352?hash=item4d45a48ba8:g:VaMAAOSwEeFVMe7t&vxp=mtr

s-l1600_zpshglh1hfc.jpg

Used one just like in on a old Volvo once

Search universal heater valve and there is lots of different ones to choose from

Edited by Fatherof3

Seen guys use these before....

120011_2.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

If it were me, I would be heading down to my local plumbers merchant. £10 (or maybe £11 for the next week or two, now that we are out!)

http://www.tidyco.co.uk/store/online-catalogue/detail.asp?warehouse=21&product=IT216-12 &cat==07 Valves&gclid=CLuZt5nkzM0CFcsW0wod5XAHtg (Price down to £7.66) 

Checkout the technical data sheet. Just need to get Minty to knockup a suitable bracket ($1( and I'll be good to go.

Edited by JohnH
addition technical detail

02tii 2751928 (2582)

On 6/27/2016 at 1:17 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

I don't know about that.  With the valve on the inlet side the coolant in the heater is cool until the valve is open and the engine coolant flow fills the core.   If you didn't have a valve you'd feel the heat off the heater core always. Even without the fan.  Same if you put the valve on the outlet.  The core would always be hot.  Maybe not so bad in the northern climates, but in SoCal (for instance) it would be stifling.

On 6/27/2016 at 1:31 PM, Preyupy said:

It does not matter if the valve is on the inlet or outlet side.  If there is no flow through the heater core there is no additional heat being brought to the core.  There will however always be water pressure because the side without the valve is still open to the cooling system. 

I'd agree mostly with Paul; with the valve on the inlet you'd restrict the flow into the core and in a small sort of way preventing the heat sink effect of the heater core. Although minimal, we're talking hot coolant that would radiate/induct through the rest of the system onto the core in the cabin. Also perhaps placed in that location for maintenance purposes when replacing the core or ????. One of those interesting questions to be asked of the designers of the system along with other features that we wonder about.

On 7/7/2016 at 10:01 AM, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

spark-plug-cardboard-toolkit-item-orig-mint-many-different-cars

spark plug cardboard toolkit item orig mint many different cars

Price: US $5.00 Buy It Now

Hmmm.  At least he did not call it "rare".

Pretty sure you can still get these new... and they come with a free spark plug.

If you turn it over it says BMW on it. I paid $12 for one that says Porsche

Edited by Fatherof3

Holy shit, that's a real ebay item O.o

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

BWahahahahahaha!

As Ol PT said, there's one born every minute.  And some must look at the internets...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Okay, same seller as the "orig mint" cardboard spark plug protector

Since this thread is about prices getting a bit high

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272288438345?euid=de0f2bf43ece461b9eacf9f7eab02321&bu=43772726080&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

This is being sold as 

Condition: Used
Seller Notes: good driver quaility as is

Looks like a wee-bit too much clearance between the gear and body... to be usable as is... or worth $399!!

s-l1600.jpg

does this Ignitor look a little high to you?

s-l1600.jpg

aaaand his $200 cluster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272288438939?euid=bc1aed78f6e74a6381027629cb690d28&bu=43772726080&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Item specifics

Condition: Used
Seller Notes: ALMOST SHOW/OR driver quaility as is

this is the part that gets me --

" DO NOT KNOW IF THEY ALL WORK BUT ASSUME THEY DO "

s-l1600.jpg

(look at the tach)

• 5 weeks later...