• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought another one. Baaaah!

dang

I came across a pretty clean '76 2002 at a tow yard and couldn't pass it up.  I'm in CA so the '76 part sucks, but the car is very original and has all the smog equipment.  Runs and drives and needs some cosmetic help here and there but has good bones.  More to come..

Here's a couple shots I had on my phone.  I don't have the key yet (thanks tow driver) so when I went to take the ignition switch off to start the engine I found original under dash panels.  Nice!

2016050395170045.jpg

IMG_20160504_071255389.jpg

IMG_20160509_183121908.jpg

That looks like it needs a good detail. Too bad it's a '76 in CA, hear that's a pain.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

glad you saved it.  those 76's really are solid cars.  i had one and it just felt more solid and quieter than all the other 02's i've driven.  hope you find a way to keep it in CA.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Bet you can find a non-CA resident who'd buy it from you...California 76s are a prime source of unrusted cars for those of us in the rust belt...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, hnichols said:

I wish my front seats looked that good.  I wonder if they've been reconditioned at some point? 

The driver seat cover has been replaced and the center section is a little lighter than the passenger seat, plus, the passenger seat feels more "crusty" when you push on it.  I'm pretty happy that the seats look good, including the rear, so I don't have to deal with that.  I'll probably be contacting Esty soon for a carpet kit.

Hey Dang, 

first off, congratulations on your "find", it looks like it has a lot of potential.

You just have to know that you have the best year EVER in the 2002 history! :)

Uh, oh yeah, that just happens to be my year..:lol:.

I live here in California and it has been a tiny bit of a hassle to smog, but I always have been able to do it.

I recently removed and oiled the speedo cable(actually 2 of them, 1 from the speedo to the box and another from the box to the transmission) and have photos of the mileage counter box, that you can easily reset.

The box is directly below the washer bottle(like mine, it may be covered in black grease and dirt and a little harder to distinguish), the buttons are facing down and are soft rubber. Something as simple as a ball point pen can be used to push them in.

When you get a chance, would you mind taking photos of the engine bay? I am always interested in what came original on my car, especially now that I am doing more work on it myself. It seems my mechanic left somethings off(e.g. the heat shield over the thermal reactor) that he felt were not important.

Good luck with everything!

Philip

Edited by bublinki
checked this AM for location of EGR counter

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

Hey Dang, 

here are some photos of the EGR mileage counter box. One of the big suggestions on the "1st things you should do" when you acquire an '02 is lubricating the speedo cable... so that is where these photos came from. One of the photos is from inside the driver side fender showing the 10mm bolts holding the unit on the engine bay. The 2 buttons for reset are pictured in the photo of the bottom of the unit.

EGR mileage counter bottom.JPG

EGR mileage counter top.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5301.JPG

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

I also own a 76 and smog isn't too bad.   So long as you pass the visual, any good shop that is both a smog and repair facility will be able tune it get it to pass.  It's kind of a PIA but,thankfully it only happens once every two years.

As others have pointed out, you can push the buttons to deactivate the reactor light.  personally, I always like it when it's on. Kind of a cool thing.  I believe it cycles on a 30k mile schedule so it will eventually turn itself off again as the miles add up. 

Good luck!

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

Thanks guys, I'll check out the reset.  I've actually owned a '76 in the past that I bought from a tow yard (just a coincidence) and they got it because the owner couldn't get it to pass smog.  The engine ran really rough but very quiet so I put a vacuum gauge on it and it went crazy.  All the valves had been cranked down to get rid of the noisy top end!  That made the car run a LOT better but still not great.  Next was the typical vacuum leak from the warped carb base, so I sanded the bottom of the carb flat and it ran awesome.  Passed smog fairly easily.  The engine on this latest '76 runs rough and is pretty quiet so I'm going to start with valve adjustment and carb base flattening!  lol

I had a little time so I adjusted the valves tonight.  Just as I had thought, every valve has been cranked down to no clearance.  I set them all at OEM spec and the engine runs ten times better!  It freed up the engine and revs quicker and has the M10 upper end clatter that it needs.  Yeah baby!