• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taller Los Ponchos Tijuana...any personal experiences? SoCal Alternatives?

jrhone

Regarding insurance  The policy I have from 21st Century Insurance provides full coverage the same as in the US for a distance of 100 miles below the border. I believe most auto insurance companies in California do the same for less distance  ie. 50 to 75 miles

If you ever have  an accident you may have a problem convincing the local police or Federalies that you have coverage.  You can buy Mexican insurance for the day going and the day returning if that makes you feel more comfortable

5 hours ago, rstclark said:

Regarding insurance  The policy I have from 21st Century Insurance provides full coverage the same as in the US for a distance of 100 miles below the border. I believe most auto insurance companies in California do the same for less distance  ie. 50 to 75 miles

If you ever have  an accident you may have a problem convincing the local police or Federalies that you have coverage.  You can buy Mexican insurance for the day going and the day returning if that makes you feel more comfortable

Yes that's why my insurance company suggested a place for short term policies. It's about $25 for a 1 day policy. Yes people drive like absolute maniacs there and the streets are horrible so be careful. I'm still wondering how I will get back with the air dam in one piece. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this thread....Car is in TJ now.  Has been for 3 weeks.  Have spoken to Ramiro about twice a week.  Here are current pics.  They have patched all holes from Euro bumper upgrade, holes from antenna on the A pillar, fixed various small dents and dings, block sanded and straightened nearly every panel, repaired rust in the drivers rear quarter, removed the drivers door for rust repair, removed all glass.  Looks like its getting close to final primer for paint.  It will also get a new headliner and a Fjord blue respray and a complete wetland and polish.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

• 2 weeks later...

Update....car has been at the shop about a month.  It will get sprayed next week then a few days to let the paint cure, then wet sanding and polishing.  The current plan is all should be done in 2 weeks.  Here are pics of my visit to the shop today...

Both doors were BADLY rusted underneath as well as pretty significant rust on the lower third of the door.  Rust was cut out and new metal put in.   Drivers side door is back on the car and repaired.  Passenger side door is almost done.  

Before:

IMG_2156.jpg

After:

img_0368.jpg?resize=768%2C538

Drivers side of car where it used to be very wavy with 40 years of dings as well as rippling from the previous owners attempt to fill the trim holes, I think the welding rippled the metal.  Now its COMPLETELY straight!

img_0371.jpg?resize=768%2C1024

IMG_0375.jpg?resize=768%2C576

IMG_0372.jpg?resize=768%2C1024

Front reflector holes patched, a dent from a ht and run repaired and big bumper holes filled. Also hidden rust near the door at the rear of the fender repaired.  I never saw it, but they found it and fixed it.

IMG_0376.jpg?resize=768%2C576

Same treatment for the passenger side fender, this one was in pretty good shape.  The hood was always damaged where the A pillar and hood meet.  Car was in a previous accident and this was never repaired.  They took that section of hood down the the metal and reshaped the hood to make it perfectly straight.  There was also a bit of rust there that was removed.

img_0383.jpg?resize=768%2C576

img_0384.jpg?resize=768%2C576

Rear end completely straight no side reflectors, those holes have been filled and again the trunk and rear quarter have been block sanded to make straight.  oles from the big bumpers have also been filled.  Rust on the drivers rear wheel arch has been repaired.  

img_0377.jpg?resize=768%2C576

img_0379.jpg?resize=768%2C576 

IMG_0381.jpg?resize=768%2C576

I'm very happy with the work.  They have done ALOT.  Thats a lot of hours spent on prep work so the new paint looks great.  Looking forward to seeing it in another week or so with it painted.  

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

The prep work looks really good. Do you have any new updates? Also, can you please check my car the next time you're there? He says he's finishing up the prep work on mine as well.

Cenk

Spoke to him this week he said the car is ready for the pair booth. I'll call tomorrow and see if he has shot it yet. He told me at the beginning of the week he was hoping to have it done in about a week. So I'm hoping to have the car back sometime next week. I'll check on yours the next time I go down. 

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Update. On my way back from seeing the car. It was  painted on Friday. So I took a trip down today results. I'm very pleased! I have a few concerns. One was the color, I think they got it pretty good!  Second concern was the quality of the picture. Time will tell on that one but my initial thoughts are it's a pretty good quality spring.  There's orange peel in the clearcoat now they are going to wet sand and polish that out this week.  When I am impressed with is the panel gabs and the fitment doors in the hood and the trunk. They did a really good job getting all that right.  They even did a pretty good job of spraying the engine bay which I didn't really ask them to do.  The repaired hood looks great! They re-welded the hood supports on the inside as well as fixing some damage and rust on the corner of the hood on the passenger side.  They say the car will be ready for pick up at the end of the. Here are the pictures that I snapped while I was down there.  I will have a more in-depth write up on my blog later on today when I get back as well as about 40 or 50 pictures that I snapped. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Great eyes lol. Yup another FAQers 02 at Los Panchos. My neighbors Porsche 930 may be going soon as well. He wants me to ride down with him to get an estimate. 

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Hmmm. I don't see much overspray. A few spots. The under the hood stuff is from previous owners bad bad cheap sprays. 

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Your car was Fjord Blue if I remember right, pretty close but hard to tell in shadows of pictures. Anyways looking fantastic John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72 Fjord Blue B/S Racecar

2011 335is 7 Speed dct Rocket

22 minutes ago, MKINNA said:

Your car was Fjord Blue if I remember right, pretty close but hard to tell in shadows of pictures. Anyways looking fantastic John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's Fjord.  I think It'svery close. Close enough for me lol. 

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon