jrhone

Taller Los Ponchos Tijuana...any personal experiences? SoCal Alternatives?

46 posts / 13927 viewsLast Reply

I have been in contact with them and got a quote for about 1/4-1/3 the cost of a comparable US paint job.  They use PPG paint and have been in business for over 30 years.  A good percentage of their business is US customers.  I just wanna ask anyone for actual experience.  The work I have seen on the net is AMAZING and seems to be popular with newer cars and the Porsche vintage crowd.   Also any SoCal Alternatives...meaning, places that do great work at a very reasonable cost.  

Here is some work I found for the Taler Los Ponchos place....

VW Bus, and E30 convertible Before and after....

IMG_1631%20-%20Copy.JPG

908427.jpg

968854.jpg

IMG_1649%20-%20Copy.JPG

r3v02_0001.jpg

rust000.jpg

rust004.jpg

AP004.jpg

AP002.jpg

AP000.jpg

John, my mate is having a 1950 Ford done in TJ I've asked how it's going , been down there a loooong time, not sure who's doing the work. The 356 Porsche looks incredible

Steve, from what I have read online...the E30 was there 4 weeks...the VW Bus was there MANY MANY months, like 6+?  But the 914 was there 1 week, the 356 was 2 weeks...so it varies car to car and maybe the amount of money you spend and how much work needs to be done...I'm not looking for a full resto look, just a respray in the factory color, and straighten the wavy body panels, etc...

Edited by jrhone

I'd give it  a go , at least drive down & get a price/time line , my friend is having a bunch of work done so no comparison . 

No personal experience, but I have some employees in TJ who say that place is good, and there are many others who do restorations and even some super car repairs/repaints. They still use old school hard paints. Let me know what they quote you. Paint and body is last on my to do list, but thats where I'm planning to take mine next year when its time!

Update

Went down to TJ today and got estimates. There are 2 shops Los Ponchos and Los Panchos. Yes. Both have done good work in the past and it seems that people are confused with the names and go to the one they find assuming it's just one place but in reality two separate businesses only about two blocks from each other. Anyway. I got estimates from both. 1700 from one and 2400 from the other. This includes removing and reinstalling hood, trunk, Windows, bumpers etc. cutting out various bits of rust and welding in new metal. Both doors, rear wheel arch and a few other places. This also includes a new headliner installed. It also includes block sanding the entire car and making every panel straight and perfect. Then shooting PPG paint. Then color sanding and polishing. It also includes installing an Alpina air dam that I am supplying. Oh and filling in the holes from my euro bumper install as well as removing the side markers and filling in those holes as well. Oh and fixing the dent from the parking lot hit and run a few years back. Estimated time is 3 weeks. 1 week alone is what he said the block sanding would take. I actually thought the place with the lower quote was a better shop. Lots of late model bmws and Mercedes and audis in the shop getting various things done to them and ALL had California plates on them. So it looks like that's what I'm going to be doing for the month of February. Waiting for the paint and body work to be done.

That is a unbelievable deal for that amount of work, I spent 3500$ and did a lot of my own bodywork, traded 3 surfboards to paint guy6c8ddc83c8826d51db81f5351ac643c8.jpg

Can't wait to see your car when it's done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time I was in TJ (first week of January), I noticed lots of tiny body shops just across the border from the Otay Mesa crossing. It was raining heavily that week but the places were doing bodywork and sanding on cars not far off the streets (I was being driven so I could not do a walk up or walk by inspection). Sounds like a great deal.

That is a unbelievable deal for that amount of work, I spent 3500$ and did a lot of my own bodywork, traded 3 surfboards to paint guy

Looks good, Mike. Are you ready for the next race? -KB

That is a unbelievable deal for that amount of work, I spent 3500$ and did a lot of my own bodywork, traded 3 surfboards to paint guy6c8ddc83c8826d51db81f5351ac643c8.jpg

Can't wait to see your car when it's done

Mike your car looks amazing!!! I'll post plenty of pics and document it all here and on my blog. It won't go down there for a few more weeks. By the way I chose Los PANCHOS. In part because of the cars they were working on when I was there and also because they were the ones that did the Porsche 356 race car and that's impressive work.

Looks good, Mike. Are you ready for the next race? -KB

Almost there Ken, dyno on Monday. Been over a year since last one, gonna have some butterflies ;)

Update

Went down to TJ today and got estimates. There are 2 shops Los Ponchos and Los Panchos. Yes. Both have done good work in the past and it seems that people are confused with the names and go to the one they find assuming it's just one place but in reality two separate businesses only about two blocks from each other. Anyway. I got estimates from both. 1700 from one and 2400 from the other. This includes removing and reinstalling hood, trunk, Windows, bumpers etc. cutting out various bits of rust and welding in new metal. Both doors, rear wheel arch and a few other places. This also includes a new headliner installed. It also includes block sanding the entire car and making every panel straight and perfect. Then shooting PPG paint. Then color sanding and polishing. It also includes installing an Alpina air dam that I am supplying. Oh and filling in the holes from my euro bumper install as well as removing the side markers and filling in those holes as well. Oh and fixing the dent from the parking lot hit and run a few years back. Estimated time is 3 weeks. 1 week alone is what he said the block sanding would take. I actually thought the place with the lower quote was a better shop. Lots of late model bmws and Mercedes and audis in the shop getting various things done to them and ALL had California plates on them. So it looks like that's what I'm going to be doing for the month of February. Waiting for the paint and body work to be done.

which shop gave the lower estimate? Is it on the corner?