• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So...what do I have here? Very cool? Not cool at all? Somewhat Cool?

COOP

As mentioned awhile back, I originally found my '72 tii in a NYC Parking garage in 1998 where it had sat abandoned by the original owner for many years.  When I found the car, these brand new, still sealed in the bag mud flaps were in the trunk of the car.  When I became reunited with the car this past November, they were still in the trunk of the car and still sealed in the original packaging, 16 years later.

Not sure what I'm going to do with them but I'm not putting them on the car (just not the look I'm after).  Any insight would be appreciated, less as to their value, more as to their origin...just not familiar with this accessory...

COOP

post-46406-0-87353400-1429234030_thumb.j

post-46406-0-44931300-1429234049_thumb.j

post-46406-0-35360000-1429234064_thumb.j

Very cool! I was thinking of getting a set for Tesoro!  :) I don't quite know the history of the origin of the mudflaps but I do know that they are a rarity... 

Edited by 02princessLisa

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

They're worth about $20. I'll take 'em off your hands.  :)

Seriously, they've gotten very desirable and command fairly ridiculous prices as of late. Those look to be the early style of rear mudflaps, with a separate white plastic roundel affixed to the black rubber flaps. It's the style on my car, which my dad put on when the car was new. The later style just had a printed roundel in white on the flaps.

I would love a better set (mine are cracked and have the cloth reinforcing cords showing), but I can't really justify spending what your NOS ones are worth.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

if they are sealed leave them sealed. Someone will pay big bucks for them.

Yeah, they're sealed...kinda cool, they look like an archaeological dig find. Not quite sure what to do with them...not really out to make a killing with them.

COOP

Edited by COOP

Yeah, they're sealed...kinda cool, they look like an archaeological dig find. Not quite sure what to do with them...not really out to make a killing with them.

COOP

pick a number or maybe throw them on ebay and let the people decide.I think theyre cool from a vintage point but not my thing on a car. Youll have a large audience though. Lots of guys like them

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Yet ANOTHER great and rare acquisition, COOP! And certainly cool from a collectibility perspective.

But, to be honest, and quite different from the valve-cover-mounted diagnostic plug, I have no desire to acquire a set because I have no desire to use them. I don't know why specifically, but they're not within my current vision of an '02. I put a new set on my '70 in '73 and said set accompanied the Poor Thing to its grave -- maybe that's why I don't like the look any more (if you look very closely, you'll see the right rear flap)!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-44685400-1429247154_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

pick a number or maybe throw them on ebay and let the people decide.I think theyre cool from a vintage point but not my thing on a car. Youll have a large audience though. Lots of guys like them

I agree with Blunt... you should either hold onto them cause they came with your 02 (someone seems to have wanted it for the car at some point).... or pop them up on ebay if you decide not to keep them ...  it'd be interesting to see the feedback on pricing for those little treasures!  ;)

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

Big bucks. My guess $250 to $300 will be bid.

I'd keep them if you don't need the money. Getting rid of great vintage parts sometimes comes back to bite you.

If you ever put stock wheels and tires on the car, they might be a nice touch, OR keep them in the bag as part of your vintage 02 archive.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

This is my Amazonasgrun '74 2002 (4225509) in a scanned image taken in the summer of 1975.  Note the mudguards - which at the time seemed to be cool.

I don't particularly like the way these mount.  the circular, serrated washers used to mount them would seem to attract rust. 

Oddly, at last report, since this car still exists, (in Newport, RI) those mudflaps remain firmly attached.

I've had several sets of these filter through my hands in the past 15 years or so, including one NOS set.  Never had the urge to install them.  However, as replacements for a car that had already been modified, I'd say these would be "the cat's pajamas."

post-9207-0-76347200-1429277073_thumb.jp

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I have to agree with the value estimate, but I also agree with the "be careful what you let go" argument. A dozen years ago I parted with a NOS set of stainless rear rock guards--the ones that mount at the leading edge of the rear wheel arches. While I never intended to install the rock guards, I sometimes wish that I still had 'em.

And count me among those who like the mudflap look...

0810Vermont-4.jpg

-Dave

Edited by dlhoovler

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler