• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Can See! ( H4 Headlights)

bento

Thank you, Ray. I have a 1976 2002, so the Hella replacements should work easily.

Thanks for the information!

Goes about as quickly as replacing one sealed beam lamp with another. Only extra time is putting the bulb in the lamp before putting the lamp in the car.

Amazon had a few sellers that offered free shipping with Prime membership for the Hella kit. It was also a few bucks cheaper to begin with.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

What do the pair of numbers (like 70/65) indicate?  Is this a measure of brightness for high/low beams?

Thanks!

I believe so, but I never researched it. Bigger numbers are always better, right? :D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

This is NOT a hijacking, but merely a link drop.

Someone finding this thread in a search may be looking for cleaning information for H4 lights.

I found a match for my ZBeam, to replace the cracked one a while back.

The 'new' one looks to be cleaner inside, but I think they could both use a cleaning.

I remembered a thread with instructions for cleaning, which Harv called the "Informative post of the year", so I thought I would put it here.  http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/153149-sev-amplilux-marchals-come-home-after-42-years/

The 'recipe' is in post #9.

I am satisfied with the way my lights currently work, but they look a little 'dull' when not on.  I am hoping a cleaning will cure this and I will be saying "I can see!" when I am done.  

007.jpg

Went for another drive last night where I could really use the high beams. What an improvement. The light pattern is great, too.

On low, you can actually see the little pie section above and to the right of the main beam intended to illuminate reflective signs. Otherwise, there's a sharp cutoff between light and dark above the beam, and no hotspots.

After looking at vintage and NOS driving light prices, I decided to order some Hella 500s. They're cheap enough that I won't feel too bad replacing them if I find a good deal on something more period correct. They'll be here Monday. I better get the front bumper on so I have somewhere to mount them.

Brent

Bento, you may consider mounting the hella 500 driving lamps behind the grills, it is a classic cool period Correct BMW 2002 stealth appearance. I have even seen pictures of  Hubert Hans race cars with the driving lamps  behind the grill. The other thing is that if you switch them directly, you can run them with your low beams if they are aimed in a way that doesn't upset other drivers. This way you don't have to change bumpers and drill holes. Maybe someone will post a picture of their  driving lamps behind the grill look.  I'm currently running mine in front of the grills, because  I wanted to match  the factory Spa Francorchamp race cars.  H 4 headlights, and driving lamps, ansa exhaust  are classic  2002 bolt on items, along with Momo /racemark steering wheels, cool shift knobs, mag wheels, etc.    Enjoy the Spirit of classic enthusiast  2002 upgrades. Cheers, Peter

post-39399-0-32844700-1425837076_thumb.j

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Good tip! I'll look into that. Despite the gaping holes for the bumper shocks, I'm kind of liking the bumperless look. I'll do some googling for images.

Brent

• 1 month later...

Hella 500's are mounted behind the grille. Thanks to Marshall's suggestion in a number of lighting threads I read, I'm connected to the left side auxiliary light tap so they come on with the high beams.

I'll eventually run the relay ground inside and to a switch so I can turn off the driving lights and just use the high beams. I have a spare defroster switch and will replace the dummy fog light switch with it.

post-47476-0-52807600-1430289900_thumb.j

post-47476-0-26833800-1430289944_thumb.j

Quite nice on the short drive I took tonight. I like to drive a few especially dark roads near home and look forward to getting out there soon to really test them out.

They didn't feel very warm when I had them on to aim them so I'm not too worried about heat melting the grilles. I'll also be moving any time they're on so the airflow should help as well.

Brent