• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terrible Predicament

bianchini

There are some motors on car-part.com maybe one will work out

Seems like a huge gamble, but I will check it out. thanks

You could take a chance at getting this short block, if your head is an E-12.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/classifieds/item/3742-happy-m-10-motor/

Mark92131

no disrespect to Bryce, but all this uproar with other 02 people has me worried about the stuff he is selling...

I'm a little surprised that your block isn't usable, unless someone went overboard on the first or second rebore.  There are a couple people on the marketplace selling long blocks, some rebuildable some ready to run so you do not need to deal with Bryce if you do not want to.  In fact someone has a built engine with low miles ready to roll at the top of the page. 

I'm a little surprised that your block isn't usable, unless someone went overboard on the first or second rebore.  There are a couple people on the marketplace selling long blocks, some rebuildable some ready to run so you do not need to deal with Bryce if you do not want to.  In fact someone has a built engine with low miles ready to roll at the top of the page. 

hey there, thanks for the response. I dont see the built engine you mention, but if you could send me the link, I'd be very grateful!

My guy is talking 4K, but then again he's one of the top guys in the Midwest...maybe the top guy. By the way, I loved your movie "Gone In 60 Seconds".

Hey Scoopyg.. I see youre in Ohio. Who is your top guy in the Midwest? I'm looking for a rebuilder- I'm in Columbus.

Thanks

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

White Castle??? I stopped in to see Tom one day several months ago. He wasnt in but the guy that was there said he would have him contact me. That was several months ago and I never heard from him. Either he didnt get the message or he wasnt interested so I've been looking for someone else since. Im in Hilliard we should meet up when you get your car back

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

The Ingram family owns the White Castle chain, which is based here in Cols. My long-time friend works for the Castle, and bought an 88 535 from his Ingram boss back some 20 years ago. I thought you might be associated with the family.

Anyhow, yes I know Tom is busy, (he's prepping two race cars right now to race in October), but he's a good guy and knows his stuff. I guess he's busy because he's good at what he does. Email me at richardreau@hotmail.com, and I'll send you pics of my car in progress. Rich

If you're in Ohio and looking for a good engine builder, you might contact Performance Clinic in Beavercreek (Dayton suburb).  Dave Middleton and his crew rebuilt my '73's engine ten years ago--the whole ball of wax--bored the block, balanced the crank/rods, new pistons, head re-do with late style valve guides/seals and new valves, lightened flywheel etc...and they engine is performing as new after 40+k miles.  Price was reasonable too.  And he's (now) familiar with BMW engines.  I copied the relevant pages from the shop manual with all the specs and he went from there.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The Ingram family owns the White Castle chain, which is based here in Cols. My long-time friend works for the Castle, and bought an 88 535 from his Ingram boss back some 20 years ago. I thought you might be associated with the family.

Anyhow, yes I know Tom is busy, (he's prepping two race cars right now to race in October), but he's a good guy and knows his stuff. I guess he's busy because he's good at what he does. Email me at richardreau@hotmail.com, and I'll send you pics of my car in progress. Rich

Rich, thanks for the info on White Castle. I was not aware. I guess thats what I get for being a transplant in Ohio instead of a native. Anyway! I would love to see pictures of your cars progress. I will shoot you an email.

If you're in Ohio and looking for a good engine builder, you might contact Performance Clinic in Beavercreek (Dayton suburb).  Dave Middleton and his crew rebuilt my '73's engine ten years ago--the whole ball of wax--bored the block, balanced the crank/rods, new pistons, head re-do with late style valve guides/seals and new valves, lightened flywheel etc...and they engine is performing as new after 40+k miles.  Price was reasonable too.  And he's (now) familiar with BMW engines.  I copied the relevant pages from the shop manual with all the specs and he went from there.

cheers

mike

Thanks Mike.. I will also look into Performance Clinic. I have friends and relatives in Dayton so I'm there quite often. Never in the 2002 though.

I just caught a line on a '82 320i EFI m10 with all the components (harness/comp/ even emissions crap). If i picked this up, what is the difficulty getting the electronics tied together to my current 74 harness?

Also, is standard cylinder/piston size 88.97mm for 2002 blocks?

Thanks everyone for the support and information!!

The 80-83 E21 320i motors in US spec cars are actually a 1.8L M10. The 77-79 E21 320i US spec car is a 2.0L M10. Do a search in the archives but IIRC, owners who have upgraded to EFI used a combination of E21 & E30 (84-85 318i M10) parts.  If you've ever driven a US spec E21, you'll wonder where the E21 performance went to once you've driven an 02. You'll be disappointed if you drop the 82 320i motor in your 02. Early 80's US spec E21s had low compression motor and performance was not a strong point.

This is what you are looking for (not mine, no affiliation, etc..) 

http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/4676631392.html

You could also use this E21 motor but the motor will not have holes for a mechanical fuel pump (if you chose to use your current fuel system on your 02)  so you'll have to wire up an electric fuel pump .

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/4664596958.html      (not mine, no affiliation, etc...)

Keep looking, you'll find your 02 motor but you may have to drive a ways to pick it up.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner