Terrible Predicament

bianchini

Hey Everyone,

I am in a very difficult predicament... I recently took my engine to the shop to get a rebuild/ diagnosis of what kind of shape it is in... I have come to find out that it needs a lot of work and I am trying to weigh my options.

Can anyone please give me guidance on what to do?

Here are the key points:

- To fix the current engine, I need to find a block, find new pistons, and rebuild the head - total $2500

- what other options do I have?

• new m10 engine? Where is the best place to source one of these? obvisously looking for best reputation, best cost-> (metric mechanic, race tep, etc)
  • rebuilt engine from another supplier? where? cost? etc...
  • other engine types? m20, m42 etc -> can someone honestly rate how difficult it is to put in an m20? (1-10 scale)
  • I'd like to put something in that is easiest to install without major modifications (yes I know everyone has their own guage of this, but imagine basic garage skills). What cost and difficulty do I have finding the parts and manuals/ install guides for these?
  • other?

I don't have all day to re-build an engine so I am looking for the best time, cost, stress free solution to get my 02 back on the road.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

$2500 to rebuild a motor is pretty good, if that includes machine work and all new parts. If you like the car as-is, rebuilding what you have is always the easiest, cheapest solution. That said, this is the perfect time to upgrade. That costs more. You have to decide what you want the car to be. Then we can give you better advice.

Why would you need a new block? Unless yours has been bored beyond the limit, you should be able to get it machined brand new.

I don't have all day to re-build an engine

It usually takes me about that long to assemble one.

But that discounts all the time spent in prep, purchasing, etc.

Steve and I swapped one for another in about 6 hours- but then,

I blew a blue towel through it because we were in too much of a hurry.

Did drive it home after the experience, and except for some burning

on the towel, nothing seemed like it was harmed very much.

So I'm thinking that it's going to take more than a day no matter

what you do...

OK, seriously- $2500 total sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

You can gamble with a $500 used engine, and you'll probably do OK.

These things are tough.  

But then you have a used engine, whereas your $2500 gets you an 

engine that will go 75000 miles with little more expenditure.

Done it both ways,

t

$2500 to rebuild a motor is pretty good, if that includes machine work and all new parts. If you like the car as-is, rebuilding what you have is always the easiest, cheapest solution. That said, this is the perfect time to upgrade. That costs more. You have to decide what you want the car to be. Then we can give you better advice.

Why would you need a new block? Unless yours has been bored beyond the limit, you should be able to get it machined brand new.

The way they described it, the block has already been worked on by the previous owner, and the pistons they could find wouldn't work if they did work to the head. I think they said the clearance would be too much.

It usually takes me about that long to assemble one.

But that discounts all the time spent in prep, purchasing, etc.

Steve and I swapped one for another in about 6 hours- but then,

I blew a blue towel through it because we were in too much of a hurry.

Did drive it home after the experience, and except for some burning

on the towel, nothing seemed like it was harmed very much.

So I'm thinking that it's going to take more than a day no matter

what you do...

OK, seriously- $2500 total sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

You can gamble with a $500 used engine, and you'll probably do OK.

These things are tough.  

But then you have a used engine, whereas your $2500 gets you an 

engine that will go 75000 miles with little more expenditure.

Done it both ways,

t

Sorry i didn't accurately describe that. what I meant to say is I dont have the free time to rebuild an engine. And for $2500 it would be rebuilt and reassembled. Then I would drop it in.

Also, I'm struggling to find a place to buy a block, so that is what is causing this discussion

I have 4 blocks in various states of tear down. Where are you located?

Hey Danc, I am located in the bay area, but can travel a good amount of distance if the block fits the specs that i need. do you have the measurements on them? also, block and pistons together i would be interested in as well.

Thank you!!

For someone that has done it before and has excellent fabrication skills it would be a 3.  For someone with little or no fabrication skills, the average small tool box full of hand tools and no experience I would say about a 15.  An engine swap is not something you do on a whim, or because you don't have the time to rebuild a stock M10.  If you want a M20 powered 2002 buy one that is already done!!! You will be $$$ ahead.   

For someone that has done it before and has excellent fabrication skills it would be a 3.  For someone with little or no fabrication skills, the average small tool box full of hand tools and no experience I would say about a 15.  An engine swap is not something you do on a whim, or because you don't have the time to rebuild a stock M10.  If you want a M20 powered 2002 buy one that is already done!!! You will be $$$ ahead.   

Thank you for your honesty. i do have a mechanic friend with a full shop that can help me, but it is still $$$ spent.

Archived