• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Radiator Advice - What To Buy

paulram

My stock radiator is leaking from the plug and full of crud.  I've read a bunch of posts about re-coring etc but in the end am I better off buying a aluminum one from the likes of ireland or a non OEM new one?

I can't put a used and untested one in. I don't want to drill new holes. I realIy don't want to remove it, send to a shop and wait.  So assume I will buy new...

My buddy told me I can use a 320 plastic radiator... http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/radiator/bmw/320i.html

I just don't want to buy the wrong thing and want to buy today. I'm sure there are a million posts but just looking for what you would do in terms of reliability and cost. It would be shipping to NJ.

Street driving only... 

You will have to drill some holes to install the 320i radiator. I am in the process of installing a metal one in my 2002.

This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C7VZK0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out Brad Day's write up on this subject:

http://turningwrench.com/320i-radiator-upgrade-for-the-2002/229

Rob Seigel and, IIRC, Matt Pickering bought higher capacity 2002 radiators from Jaymic in England for about $350 or so shipped. They might chime in later.

Edited by HarryPR

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

A million radiator posts, but here's my take on it:

--The bolt pattern on the 320i radiator is wider than the 2002 radiator, and the 320i radiator has its brackets on the back, not the front, so 1) holes need to be drilled, and 2) long bolts or spacers need to be used. This is a pain on a tii because it interferes with placement of the fuel filter. That having been said, the Spectra CU759 linked to above is a well-priced option, and it's an all-metal radiator, so that gives peace of mind of not having plastic tanks like on the later plastic-and-aluminum 320i radiators, and because it's all black, it looks fairly at home in the 02's engine compartment. I just put one in a customer's car because his nose was already drilled for a 320i radiator. It's all-metal, but the metal is a bit light. It's a radiator for an automatic, so it has those threaded taps in the bottom. I just covered 'em up with some caps. So far, that customer's car is running very cool with this radiator.

--If you want a STOCK radiator, they're expensive. Bavauto's price is $502. GetBMWParts (Tischer BMW) is better, quoting $428. 

--And there are the European sources. Scott Sislane bought one from Jaymic a few years back, and what arrived was in a Walloth und Nesch box, so obviously they bought it from W&N. Matt Pickering bought a high efficiency radiator last week directly from W&N, paying about $340. I called Jaymic. They quoted me $305 for the regular radiator and $350 for the high-efficiency one. I bought the high-efficiency one from them. (they were so nice to me when I called; the woman said "Oh, Rob Siegel -- I'm reading your book! You're like the American version of my dad!" (Her dad, I believe, is the author of the McCartney book). How was I supposed to NOT buy a radiator from her?) It should arrive in a few days.

--Or you can recore. Mark Preisendorf inherited The Silicon Garage from the late great Curt Ingram, put out some great triple-core radiators (I have one in my E9), charged about $350 for 2002 triple cores, then went out of business, taking a bunch of people's money with him, including mine. I called around for other triple-core prices and was quoted $450. I'm told copper is quite expensive right now. 

--Note that the Jaymic / W&N radiators appear to have the lower hose connection coming out straight, like a very early 2002 radiator, instead of angled up. Other folks report not having a problem fitting this to an air-conditioned car. I'm about to find out.

--If you want to buy an aluminum radiator from a reputable source, I'm not going to talk you out of it. Personally, though I'm not a stickler for originality, I'm a bit sensitive to things that look like they time-traveled in from another era.

By the way, after driving 3410 miles round-trip to MidAmerica 02Fest a few months back, and driving perhaps 30 miles in the car since, its radiator -- an eBay used triple-core purchased after Preisendorf took my money -- spring a leak from a crack in the upper tank. Lucky lucky lucky.

Taken in total, this is what made me spend the $350 and buy the high-efficiency one from Jaymic (W&N) after spending years trying to find a cheaper way out of it. I mean why buy one good radiator when you can buy three shitty ones?

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

--If you want a STOCK radiator, they're expensive. Bavauto's price is $502. GetBMWParts (Tischer BMW) is better, quoting $428.

$384.95 from BMW of Morristown NJ:

https://www.trademotion.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=17111115755&make=BMW&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214320

$371.16 from Tomkinson BMW in IN:

http://tomkinsonbmwparts.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=17111115755&make=BMW&action=oePartSearch&siteid=215996

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

A bit OT, I know, but I'm so saddened to hear that Mark has not kept Silicon Garage alive, even in spirit. I feel fortunate to have known Curt, and if there is one thing he absolutely was, it was honest and giving, through and through. To hear that someone else (who in all my previous encounters seemed like a really nice guy) has not only closed up the business, but also left some customers hanging, is just really disappointing. Mark, if you're out there, I hope you have the opportunity and will to make things right purely out of respect for Curt, even if you don't have the desire or time to carry on with the business.

A bit OT, I know, but I'm so saddened to hear that Mark has not kept Silicon Garage alive, even in spirit. I feel fortunate to have known Curt, and if there is one thing he absolutely was, it was honest and giving, through and through. To hear that someone else (who in all my previous encounters seemed like a really nice guy) has not only closed up the business, but also left some customers hanging, is just really disappointing. Mark, if you're out there, I hope you have the opportunity and will to make things right purely out of respect for Curt, even if you don't have the desire or time to carry on with the business.

i know a little background on the demise of the 3-core Silicon Garage radiator business that might explain the sad end of if.  About 10 years ago i took a 2002 radiator to a shop I had used decades ago for an old 50's truck radiator when i was in high school.  it had been in business forever and was just off highway 101 in Greenbrae, CA called Mill Valley Radiator. 

the guy running it recognized it immediately and mentioned that one of his customers (Curt) supplied a steady supply of them for resale.  At that time, the guy seemed to keep his drinking habit in check for the most part.  you wouldn't think much to see him, but apparently, his workmanship made up for the generally sloppy condition of the shop.  It was always filled with cars and radiator cores of all types in piles here and there.  i believe Curt painted his radiators himself to ensure a uniform finish. 

This guy would straighten the brass covers and reform as best as possible and use lead filler to shape to original contour when necessary.  Initially, i got my radiator in a timely manner.  i ended up bringing him 4 or 5  more with no particular timeframe for completion.  As i recall, i waited several months for my next one; then a couple years for the next one after that.  By this time, he had used my PERFECT undented cores for someone else (he commented on how nice they were at the time) and i was left to accept his 2nd tier cores.  out of the blue he called me with 2 more radiators and i accepted them knowing that they were probably rejected by Mark for cosmetic reasons.  i paid $225/each btw.  i always wondered how much they sold for on the open market. 

i was still waiting for the last two cores he had of mine, when suddenly, to my horror, the shop was closed and everything was taken to the scrap yard, i was told by another mechanic who knew of him.  alcohol got the best of him and he started gambling and got into methamphetimines and ended up in jail for a little while.  his rent was cheap and he was behind on it too.  he really threw away a great little business as he was known as the go-to guy for exotic radiator repairs. 

he told me of one customer who came to his shop with a very old radiator from the 20's or 30's that he needed for his vintage racer that he was going to ship to Italy for an event and asked if $4000 would cover the cost of repair.  he tried to contain his glee when he assured the customer that that would probably cover the cost of repair.  such was his reputation among the repair world.

i had one email exchange with Mark, who took over from Curt.  he responded to my email because i informed him that i knew his source.  Mark was unfortunate to have gotten involved with this shop at the time that he did.  by this time, the guy was on the downward spiral.  my guess is that he somehow convinced Mark to pay up front to assure timely turn times.  i'm not making excuses for Mark, and he's ultimately responsible for his deeds, but i thought i'd share the story of the demise of the once highly desireable 3-row Silicon Garage radiators. 

i recently sold one of my cars that had one of those radiators in it and i really regret not switching it out before i offered it up for sale, such was the quality of it.  btw, i asked Mark why he didn't just go elsewhere and he said he tried several shops but none were up to snuff.  i lost 2 good radiator cores, but no cash to this shop.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I enjoyed dealing with Mark when I got the radiator for my E9. It solved every cooling problem the car had. He seemed like a great guy. I was excited to buy another radiator for the 02 from him, and was so surprised when my e-mails went unanswered and my money went unrefunded. 

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

As to the 320 radiator-

to fit it, you make 2 u- shaped brackets to support its bottom.  They fasten straight down into the crossmember,

or forward to the front sheetmetal.  I line mine with a bit of rubber sheet for more overkill.

You then make 2 small straps to support the top, and drill 2 more holes in the front sheetmetal to secure the

O/E 320 rubber isolation bushings.

This is a bit of work the first time, but afterwards, removal is 2 10mm nuts, and lift.  Excellent for race car....

Hoses- you CAN force the 2002 hoses to fit.  They're a little stressed about it.  I finally settled on an upper 2002

hose, and then used the later 320 lower hoses, including the slightly- angled water pump outlet hose that

goes to the t-stat.  That moves the t- stat a bit so that everything lines up- well, almost.  You end up shortening

the lower 320 hose a bit.

It's not hard, but it's not just bolt-and-unbolt.  Once you do it once, it IS very simple.

And that 320 radiator proved to be both durable and efficient...  and they are (at last notice) not very expensive

for an OE supplier brand like Behr...

fwiw.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

320 rad works great, 2002 rad works great, silicon garage rad works great, IE alum works great.

provided...the rest of the cooling system is in good shape and...

you have good airflow.  this is critical in stop and go traffic.  the stock engine fan is ok, but putting an elec fan in front of the rad that is as big as you can fit makes a huge difference in cooling ability.

2xM3

Walloth & Nesch  has a "summer sale" (through 9/14) on the high capacity radiator. "50% higher cooling than the standard radiator, 20% more than the tropical/tii radiator." $248.17  including shipping and without VAT. Also a turbo radiator for $567.14. Didn't know there was a tii radiator.

The Spectra 320i radiator is a great deal and works well, fitting didn't take long at all, nor was it hard, the Pontiac Sunbird hose for the lower connection works great with a little trimming, I initially tried the 320i hose and it was way too short and didn't really work until I made a frankenhose by splicing it with the original hose on the car.  My car went from running up by the red to staying at or mostly just below 3:00 o'clock even on hot days.  It must be popular as I see supply and demand seems to have upped the price on Amazon from a little over $100 when I got it to a little over $130 now.  

If I could find a local radiator shop to rod or recore mine probably would have gone that route, which I explored initially, but I am glad I in the end I didn't because the 320i rad is a really good, cost effective solution unless you are wed to stock.original configuration.

More discussion, and links within the discussion to a good install thread, here:  http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/155840-radiator-refurbish-or-buy-new/page-2?hl=amazon%20radiator 

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

I have the spectre radiator and like it a lot. I upgraded it because of city traffic in the summer. I wanted the bigger radiator capacity. So when my water pump went, I decided it was time to swap it and the old hoses too.

I have my old radiator. It works just fine. I removed it from the car two months ago and flushed it. No leaks or blockage. PM if you're interested. I'm in Brooklyn.

Edited by thinksound_mike

mike tunney