• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Purchase Horror Story - And Other Questions....

sam1904

I hate to scrap a classic, really hate it...

There was just no way to save this. The sills were also so bad there was nothing to weld a floor too. We even thought about tubing it out but so many areas where so bad A) it would always bug the hell out of me and B.) it just was not worth the investment of time or parts.

It was an entertaining drive home from the parking lot where I picked it up though - especially when I took my foot of the gas and the car moved 4' to the right in heavy traffic given the unattached RHS rear suspension points...

It is a shame because during my only 2 miles driving this car the motor, tranny, seats etc seemed really nice. (Have kept good parts if anyone wants seats, MOMO etc)

Edited by sam1904

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

Sorry, but that's total bullshit from the seller.  Brokered or not, they should have known very well the structural condition if they'd had occasion to move the car at all.

Good luck with your next moves.

Best,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Criminal negligence... that's how I would put it. I've never seen such despicable deceit... 

That guy will certainly smoke a turd in Hell for that one...

Sorry for your woes, Sam. 

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I admire how calm you are. If I had purchased that car, I would probably currently be in jail for doing unspeakable things to the scumbag nob who sold that pile of rust and foam. 

good luck on you next build.

Was that car supposed to be the infamous "2002 Lightweight"?

I don't know how you've maintained your sanity thus far. I would have gone straight to his mother. Mother's know how to really make their children feel guilty. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Yup, that's Bill's photo booth.

Be happy you're only out $7k. He told me the same "brokering" story, too.

2002mkoop is Bill's son.

if the "broker" had possession of the car in order to take pictures, there is no way in hell they could NOT have known the deplorable condition of that car.  that was fraud.

2xM3

Thanks all for the support. I only appear calm because I am 2000 miles away...

I still refuse to refer to, or slander anyone in print - with that said there are enough key buzzwords in this string now that it should show fairly high on any pertinent Google searches ;) So thanks for that too :)

Jezebel (the 911) has been a labor of love and evolved from an almost as bad beat up roller to her current self over quite a period of time.. It is likely going to get sold. too much $$ and time to thrash but also can't afford for it to sit.....

The R1200 GSA keeps me same and I am lucky enough to have a wife that lets me dissapear on it to foreign lands for extended trips as long as I carry a beacon and promise to stop breaking bones in expensive to extract locations!

I also just finally found a 2002 from a buyer I have far greater trust in, am doing a PPI this week and will post details on when on its way. The project starts again.......

Edited by sam1904

I kept seeing your enthusiastic posts about your new 2002 purchase, big bummer to have it turn out this way. No matter how much internet credit, nothing replaces a good PPI.

On the upside the 2002 can be quite the FSP contender (just ask our benevolent overlord or Jamie Yost).  Glad to hear you're not giving up on the dream.

Edited by AceAndrew

Get used to the enthusiastic posts - I enjoy the planning and building as much as the driving...I was in full on Excel spreadsheet mode by the time I realized what a P.O.S I had bought from that P.O.S....

Completed (post PPI) purchase on another one last week so the Spreadsheet is getting dusted off again...

Thanks all for the support. I only appear calm because I am 2000 miles away...

I still refuse to refer to, or slander anyone in print - with that said there are enough key buzzwords in this string now that it should show fairly high on any pertinent Google searches ;) So thanks for that too :)

Don't worry, truth is an absolute defense to slander!