• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Porterfield R4S For Volvo Calipers?

Anyone know if Porterfield makes the R4S for the Volvo girling calipers?

I'm upgrading my front brakes and the Porterfield website only lists pads for 1997 and newer Volvos, but I've searched the forum and found old threads where guys were running R4S pads with the old Volvo calipers.

Thanks guys.

Just got off the phone with LPI and Porterfield. They DO still make the R4S for Volvo calipers. For anyone interested, the part number to use for ordering is: GD549.

The reason I was having trouble is that Porterfield does not have the R4S listed under GD549 on their website (only R4, R41 and R4E), but if you call they can place the order for you.

there have been several threads with the R4S part numbers.  here is pic from my build thread.

pg 19

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/103584-mlytles-m2-madness/page-19

DSCN5079.jpg

porterfield has lots of pads not listed on their site, and they custom make pads. i had them make the same shape for volvo calilpers with Performance Friction 01 pad material.

R4S compound is great for street and auto-x.  ok for beginner level driver's schools.  beyond that it is time to step up to a real track pad.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

On a Volvo caliper, I'd bet the R4S would be OK for the track.

For moderate/occasional/not pushing too hard days.

On the stock caliper, I agree with Marshall-

beginner level driver's schools.

is about it.  Or maybe your first track season

while you're still running the single barrel downdraft-

they can't really take the heat.

But they're a decent street pad. 

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

how do the R4s compare to oem pads at the track?  Last summer I cooked the crap out of a pair of oem pads, but they felt great on track... there was just very little of them left... 

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

On the Volvo calipers, I tracked my street car with Textars on it a lot.  They did fine- mostly when I instructed,

so it'd be 20 or 30 laps a day, but they never faded, and even felt fine on the trip home.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

how do the R4s compare to oem pads at the track?  Last summer I cooked the crap out of a pair of oem pads, but they felt great on track... there was just very little of them left...

The stock ATE pads did fine in my only PDX last year on the tight,twisty track at Summit Point. It was the Prestone brake fluid that failed and boiled. I now use the ATE blue fluid.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"