• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3Sge Beams Swap!!!?

koota

Funny, this is the exact engine base I was thinking of swapping in.

It's a small, light, modern 4 cylinder, depending on the variant they come from the factory with titanium valves and forged bottoms, and 170-240 hp. I am seeing package deals with 6 speeds for around $2,000, and shipping is around $300.

31436374517_8d8d287049_o.jpg.2d76303dce729a94519ce58b66156f83.jpg

It is a Toyota engine, commonly found in the Celica and MR2. 

My first concern; are they not mounted transverse? Does that even fit, without a boatload of mods? I´ve driven a MR2, and I have to say, those were some of the least impressive 150 bhp I´ve ever witnessed. It´s almost as bad as muscle cars. 

I wonder what gearbox he used? Getting an oil pan that will fit around a 2002 front crossmember and suspension and then fabricating a header that works around the steering box (on a left hand drive car) will be just the beginning of the fabrication fun you will have doing that engine swap.  If you have the skills to do the job then you most likely don't need anyone's opinion about the feasibility.  If you don't then all it takes is $$$$$ and finding someone that does. 

A heavily modified car is never worth even a small fraction of what it costs to build.  If you can't do it yourself then you are most likely not the person to maintain it either.  I could see myself building something like this just for the fun of it, but I would never build one for someone else because I would not want to be married to it for the rest of my life.   

Edited by Preyupy

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

its no the same engine thats in the mr2 ( usdm) in the mr2 its transverse, but  its the engine in a RS200 ( is300 japan) its a inline 4 , making around 200 hp. ill probably do the swap myself but have someone else do the electrical.

Hope its more reliable than an mr2 motor. They were as a man from Navan might say 'balls of shite' Theres a chap over here with a honda s2000 motor and gearbox installed. Engine mounted to chassis. Pugeot 306 steering rack. Willwood master cylinder massive e39 m5 brakes if memory serves me right. Well executed and a bit left of field in terms of the way he did things.

You'd need to do some extra work in fabbing an exhaust.  That's a RHD car, so they had no issue with the steering column being in the way.  It also looks like a good chunk of firewall cut out there.

How much experience with fabrication do you have koota?  It's hard to tell over the internet whether you're a 16 year old with big ideas that will never materialize, or a guy with a machine shop and plenty of experience in welding and streetrodding.

It could go either way.  There are plenty of great project cars that get done well (after lots of time, money, and skilled labor), and there are plenty of half-done projects that go to Craigslist because someone couldn't finish the job right. 

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Oh the ideas! Now I need another 02 shell!  B)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

im 28 with some(more than a little) experience  in  fabricating/ welding,i would have to fabricate an exhaust anyways for it, i would have a shop do that. also what are the issues with the steering column?

also it does look like the fire wall is cut out. wouldn't it still need to be cut out with a f20c (s2000 set up)?