Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Feedback


Community Reputation

77 Excellent


About Spyke

  • Birthday January 17

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    East Bay SF area
  • Interests
    CARS, Photography, Food

Recent Profile Visitors

4,216 profile views
  1. Everything is in and running. Picking up from my last entry, I had to chop up a DSSR I had sitting around to add an extra inch to the length. I purchased a small length of stainless rod in the same diameter from McMaster along with some electrodes to match from another supplier. It was impossible to find them locally, and difficult to find anyone online that would sell me less than 10 pounds of them, but I prevailed. I shaved a small amount off one side of the DSSR to clear the guibo when it's twisted to select the further gears, but after sneaking my phone
  2. What?! I thought it was canceled. Would have loved to run through for parts, but I would have bolted as soon as it got crowded
  3. I will take a full set as well, and I'll go through Ireland for a CR set
  4. That's what I don't understand. Tracing the OEM diagrams, I don't see either pin 6 or 7 having relays. So why would they need relays in a swapped configuration, but not in the stock layout?
  5. That's massively helpful. Looks like pin 6 and 7 are indeed just signal only, so I'll be ignoring Jakeb's call for relays. Thank you very much, I'm not sure why that didn't come up in all my forum searches, but I am saving the shit out of that link. Thank you kind sir!!!
  6. Yup, that's one of 3 that I have, but it conflicts with Jakeb's writeup, which is why I am in limbo on 6 and 7
  7. Bump, I think I have almost everything figured out besides two wires and one questionable wire that I may not need at all.
  8. It works great, it was super cheap, it won't have to be redone every 5-10 years, and nobody can see it unless you remove the seat from the car and turn it upside down. Yes. Seriously.
  9. I used shower pan liner, tripled over and fused together with the recaro bars in place (made a template from my old original ones. SUPER supportive, with juuuust a little bit of elasticity. It will likely never fail, even when I'm worm food.
  10. Mega bummer. I miss everyone's cars (sad face)
  11. Aasco flywheel works with stock everything, so I went with that since I already had it on hand and it's not overly lightweight. Everything came together nicely Engine is complete as a unit and united with the subframe. Car lifted up super high, you need about 33" of clearance not including whatever you're using to slide it under the car. I used low profile jacks to pivot it into place. Then grabbed the engine from the top using an engine crane, and pulled it up into place so I could mate the subframe to the body.
  12. Cutting the e21 platform down was a mistake. As usual, trying to do things before hand to make it go faster and easier did exactly not that. It should have been left just as it was stock, as once in place it was already too short to make any minor adjustments. I can see no logical reason to use Jakeb's mounts and shorten the e21 platform. That said, I was exasperated at making it work, getting everything in place, and then finding out I could not install the pin on the selector rod/selector rod joint. The half-moon shift platform bushings and their mounting bolts (that go into the tapped transmission bosses) are in the way. So, I found two more e30 airbox bushings, chopped the shifter platform down to just the area around the cup, and mounted it up. I trimmed down the e21 foam piece (it has a metal core) as well to fill the void. Now it's a semi-rigid body mounted shifter, which I will probably be much happier with anyways. (The trans mounts are Delrin.) IE 5 speed conversion clutch line is in hand, looks like it will work perfect. Fluids will be the last thing in of course, so not officially tested. The selector rod is indeed 8.5" (216mm) center-to-center, using Jakeb's mounts. The adapter I will not incorporate unless the tach doesn't work when it's up and running. I am hung up on a couple details in the wiring, as again I am seeing conflicting info. #6 on the c101 is listed as the M42 ECU Power in Jakeb's list, however in the wiring diagram this is listed as "12V to Diagnostic Connector from Fuse 11 / Ignition Switch". This leads to pin #16 on the Diagnostic Connector. The white main relay which is incorporated into the engine wiring harness already, is what I believe powers the ECU. #15 is skipped over in Jakeb's list, but in the wiring diagram it's labeled "Engine Starting Signal" which seems odd to ignore. This goes over to the Starter, at contact 30h. The rest is very straight forward.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.