• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twin 45 Airbox

Adrian harrison

Hi,

I can make those boxes for the Alpina A4 System. If you have a TI brakebooster the box fit also to the Webers. But there is not much space. The big advantage of the box is, you can use long airhorns if needed. It is also possible to produce the box without the Alpina letters. 

post-36643-0-57868100-1393579325_thumb.p

post-36643-0-45599100-1393579352_thumb.j

W.

Do not run a sealed air box on Weber carbs with a hose running to the front of the car

The pressure differential can (sort of) be compensated for in jetting assumptions (a la blow thru turbo)

but now that there is megasquirt, why bother???

The biggest problem running a sealed box (that I found) was that the rear throat is working on a very

different 'air space' than the front, and the 2 in the middle were doing something different, too.

The ITM box was what made that very clear- (ooo, I THINK it was made by ITM, I got it secondhand)

as you could watch the pyrometers from front and rear sweep in OPPOSITE directions as revs rose at full throttle.

To make matters worse, I had the earlier FRP version (they now sell Carbon fiber) so it probably resonated like a 

SOB, too...

which box weighs about 7 pounds? The DBilas one

Sorry, the aluminum dBilias.  The one in my pix (ugly suckah, ain't it?) was just a couple, even with the tie wraps!

The Weber DCOE relies on the unimpeded movement of a pretty large column of air in front of its trumpets.  So anything that

modifies the 'impedance' of that column will affect tuning above maybe 3500 rpm.  There is fuel in that column, so it's 

easy to mess up mixtures with a crossdraft.  

On the inside of the filter I show, there are 4 ring- shaped marks from where the fuel reversion cone has been hitting it at 

(probably) 6k or so...  they're even, and the pytometers stayed even, so I'm guessing the filter had an even effect on all 4.

The shapes on the inside of the ITM one were all different!

Honestly, this was one of the biggest ongoing problems I had running DCOEs.  Everything else responded (mostly) to logic.

hth

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hi,

I can make those boxes for the Alpina A4 System. If you have a TI brakebooster the box fit also to the Webers. But there is not much space. The big advantage of the box is, you can use long airhorns if needed. It is also possible to produce the box without the Alpina letters.

attachicon.gifRFS3.png

attachicon.gifRFS2.jpg

W.

So how much would an air box like this cost? Edited by Adrian harrison

Sorry, the aluminum dBilias.  The one in my pix (ugly suckah, ain't it?) was just a couple, even with the tie wraps!

t

Toby,

thx for answer. Didn´t know about the weight. To be honest didn´t even know these "new-style" DBilas boxes are available. Had in mind their first rectangular, greyish, sheet metal boxes from the 70s or earlier 80s. Don´t have a digitized picture (only old paperback photos and don´t know exactly where these are) of those but look at the old approval from german TÜV:

post-36854-0-70030600-1393944211_thumb.j

Noticed they switched to the more round, cast-alloy type later

post-36854-0-69161900-1393946311_thumb.j

but the last type to be seen in the link I didn´t notice until some days ago. Seems to be on the market for quite some years now - shame on me. Will need to drive over to their shop in near future and see what they might have available actually.

Your one: Form follows function, doesn´t it? ;)

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Yes, it's fugly.  But it's yellow!  And that's a dye in the frp, not paint, so I felt 10 bhp right there.

The dBilias intake I have is at least 5 years old now.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The notion of 'Ram' air enhancing performance is a farce.  It's the Big3's marketing department's method of spinning the advantages of cold air induction into something that the American public would pay extra for.  Most, if not all of the production ram air systems passed through the air filter.  And without a compressor forcing the air in, there's no charging going on.  Just higher oxygen density from cooler air, which is a good thing.

During the air horn/runner length conversations yesterday, I was trying to imagine how to effectively get four 17"-ish runners packed into an air box, with a shared filter..  Then I realized that the Ti box with horns, accordions and the can, it just about does just that. 

I need a ratted out Ti air box to mess with..

You want one?  cuz I got one.  It's not particularly pretty.  I think Karl threw it in my car when I wasn't looking, haha.  Somebody tweaked/welded it at some point to fit around the stock booster.  It'd probably need some kind of vibration dampening between booster and can to make it not rattle.  Let me know if you want it, and I can throw a stamp on it and get it out of my garage. 

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

• 4 years later...
On 2/28/2014 at 1:24 AM, whs.de said:

Hi,

I can make those boxes for the Alpina A4 System. If you have a TI brakebooster the box fit also to the Webers. But there is not much space. The big advantage of the box is, you can use long airhorns if needed. It is also possible to produce the box without the Alpina letters. 

post-36643-0-57868100-1393579325_thumb.p

post-36643-0-45599100-1393579352_thumb.j

W.

has anyone tried this airbox on dcoe 40?

• 1 month later...

Hey i know this is old thread but i just got done making my own air box for a itb tii booster setup.. (or weber)

Im gonna eliminate the air cone and just run air from the front and have a internal filter..  

it has a 3" hole and 2.9 liters of volume.  I have running video..  I used to run the borla air filter setup with oil filter but it was gunking up the throttle boddie internal linkage and when its hot outside u could feel power loss.

now she seems to have same amount of power.  Much quieter,  much smoother acceleration, and now i can install a proper air flow sensor.  It should also house longer runners internally as well.

cheers

lee

IMG_4744.thumb.JPG.7cc6e3bf64fd6af55c76c3a8c06ae5c7.JPGIMG_4743.thumb.JPG.2c9ca886a7890f9c4e2d8543c0cbea01.JPGIMG_4783.thumb.JPG.a9f8f6cadf5f23f1f7c642f2366cd3d1.JPGIMG_4787.thumb.JPG.5cdbf014a9ad68354095f74cf70a4e30.JPG

• Like 2