• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passing On A Rare Find (Turkis 02)

bluebmw

Interior was black when I bought it in 2000, salt/pepper original carpet

I don't suppose yours was originally an automatic? If it were -- although I doubt it was - we could compare your VIN to the subject car's 4281520 VIN to better estimate the build date of the subject car. Is yours a U.S. car?

A black interior could certainly be original -- does your car have the distinctively-'74 seats? -- as the factory "recommended" exterior-interior combinations were routinely over-ruled by Hoffman Motors and, later, BMW NA.

Very special car!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I wonder if anyone will take that on- it's a big project.

t

(edited for politeness)

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The BMW 2002 US Automatic VIN 4281520 was manufactured on March 25th, 1974 and delivered on March 29th, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Türkis metallic, paint code 065.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

BMW Group Archiv

Therefore, the only two thus-far confessed and confirmed Türkis square taillights we've seen on this forum appear to be March '74 cars, apparently the end of the line for Türkis metallic. And it could be the end of the line for 4281520! Any brave restorers out there? I suspect a manual transmission and a sunroof would have slightly improved its odds.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Dear Mr Ball,

Thank you for your email.The BMW 2002 US Automatic VIN 4223513 was manufactured on March 8th, 1974 and delivered on March 18th, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Türkis metallic, paint code 065.We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia OberndörferBMW Group Archiv

Edited by daron_in_Va

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. I've got a ... March '74 Turkis automatic sunroof car. Max must have ordered a bunch of them.

My report from Andreas Harz:

"The BMW 2002 Automatic US VIN 4281328 was manufactured on March 18, 1974and delivered on March 22, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. inNew York City. The original colour was Tuerkis (turquoise) metallic, paintcode 065."

Mine was a project/shell when I bought it (and still is). After doing the bodywork on my '73 I couldn't resist a rust-free project car. It was repainted at least twice in its past, but bits of Turkis shine through. Since it is a shell, I thought it might be worth it to strip it down to go back to Turkis. Might have to if they're that rare...

TimMN

http://customers.hbci.com/~tskwiot/2002.html

1973 '02 w/megasquirt-II and COP EDIS ignition

http://www.hbci.com/~tskwiot/2002.html

When I first worked for BMW back in 73, I was told that Turkis was only available on auto cars. Same goes for the turbo style alloys, although I have seen some of them on 74 tiis. Anybody have an original Turkis with a  4 speed? I did ask the BMW rep why that color was only on autos. His reply, with a smile on his face: "To help sell them". We had one with a sunroof and those wheels on the lot forever. It was almost as much as a 73 tii with half the fun factor. Once you add metallic paint, sunroof, auto tranny and alloy wheels to $5100, it got pretty close to the $5800 tii cost.

Daron,

I believe you just jumper between the (2) # 50 switch wires black/brown and brown (not the reverse light wires # 15 - green/white and blue/black).  Believe Chris I. (stone02) has shared this information in another thread.

Hmm. now IE will not allow both quoting AND inserting of pictures from Pbucket.  Guess I should not be looking at the FAQ during lunch at work.

Edit - now at home using Google Chrome..

photo_2_zpsd10aa3bd.jpg

photo_1_zpse729bf16.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"