• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Bumper Options

bmwbabe

Hello all,

In the next couple months I will be sending the car off to paint and was looking for some rear bumper options because mine did not come with one. I believe the car was painted over and they filled the holes with rubber stoppers.

As of right now I am going to keep the front valance so I was thinking of doing IE's rear fiber glass bumper. I am just looking for some opinions and to see if someone has a better idea. I guess another option is to smooth down the rear and fill in the holes and just go with out a bumper.

IE;

IMG_2107.jpg

This is my 02. This is the only shot I have of a good look at the rear.

gallery_41047_135_25241.jpg

Don't know how much you drive the car, or where, but bumpers do protect that expensive sheet metal in the rear panel as well as the trunk floor, gas tank, spare tire well, etc. I'd put something metal back there. Just my 02 cents.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

I was going to go with the IE FG bumper til I found a rough chrome one for a good price.  I don't see any option providing more than scratch protection in an accident.

Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
1976 BMW 2002 "tii"

2014 Ford Mustang GT "Boss Lite"

Presuming you have a squarelight (?) that originally had the heavy aluminum bumpers--for the car to look nice you're gonna need to fill in the 3 big holes where the bumper shock absorber mounts went.  The small oval covers (two per side) are where the Euro chrome bumpers go on non-US squarelights and can be utilized to mount chrome bumpers.  Or you can also fill these holes and go bumperless.  

But with all the Braille parkers out there, I'd be leery of not having a bumper at all, either front or rear.  It doesn't take more than a light tap to buckle the rear quarter panels at the top of the rear wheel arches.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Big bumpers save lives! And your wallet. And your car... I think they can look rather nice actually...

You have strange tastes! (guess we all do on some things).  They look like US-mandated tumors to me.

bmwbabe - Ideally you'd find an early shorty bumper (or euro equivalent) and go that route, they pop up fairly often in the classifieds section.  If you had the extra time/money, I really like the look Bruce went for when he welded the bumper sections together and re-chromed the whole thing, very clean.

DSC_0467_zpsbfedf6b8.jpg

Some more pics here ... http://iemotorsport.com/gallery/v/car-of-month/October+2013+-+Bruce+Carr+-+1969+2002/

If it doesn't fit your funds or time to hunt, then the IE bumper is a decent alternative.  I don't care for a bumper-less 2002, looks odd.

Not having made up my mind yet, still " bumperless."  When I do add the rear bumper it will be a shortie on my 76. The big holes have been welded and filled.  I do have the 4 ovals when the time comes to put the shortie on.

I did consider cutting a 67-69 Camaro rear bumper  http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-rear-bumper-chrome-1967-1968.html

At 90.00 bucks, it was a consideration.

I dont think the big bumpers look that bad.... They could be better yes, but they're no MGB :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

You have strange tastes! (guess we all do on some things). They look like US-mandated tumors to me.

I never said they look as good as a set of the small pre 74 bumpers don't get me wrong the small chrome ones look millions of times better but, as a daily driver I would like to have some space between the car that hits me and my car. I do like the big bumpers because if something hits one. They don't cost that much to replace and they protect your car much better. As a show car tho yes I would love a set of small chrome bumpers...

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

, as a daily driver I would like to have some space between the car that hits me and my car. I do like the big bumpers because if something hits one. They don't cost that much to replace and they protect your car much better. As a show car tho yes I would love a set of small chrome bumpers...

+1

I too like the big bumpers and if my car was primarily street driven they would still be on the car.  show or not.  i only replaced them to save weight in a primarily track driven car.

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...

You have strange tastes! (guess we all do on some things).  They look like US-mandated tumors to me.

bmwbabe - Ideally you'd find an early shorty bumper (or euro equivalent) and go that route, they pop up fairly often in the classifieds section.  If you had the extra time/money, I really like the look Bruce went for when he welded the bumper sections together and re-chromed the whole thing, very clean.

DSC_0467_zpsbfedf6b8.jpg

Some more pics here ... http://iemotorsport.com/gallery/v/car-of-month/October+2013+-+Bruce+Carr+-+1969+2002/

If it doesn't fit your funds or time to hunt, then the IE bumper is a decent alternative.  I don't care for a bumper-less 2002, looks odd.

Andrew, did you ever manage to find the wheel specs on this 2002? It looks great. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards