• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tech Tip That Works For Me: Hose Clamps And Rubber Squeezing

OriginalOwner

Got rubber squeezing through the serrations on your hose clamps ??  First wrap a couple of turn of black electrician's tape around the hose ...... works for me to eliminate the problem on all hoses.

To demonstrate hose clamp rubber squeeze I shamelessly borrow '76Mintgrun'02's picture from the "radiator hose" thread:

033.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

BMW hose clamps don't do that, they are solid with raised threads. They are sized to the hose and readily available.

post-38744-0-76254200-1386600159_thumb.j

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

+1 BMW or other clamp with eased edges and a smooth band.  McMaster Carr has a couple varieties and more sizes than I've found available from BMW.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

Adawil2002 is correct.  BMW hose clamps, with ridges and troughs that make them appear to look like cheaper generic hose clamps, do not have any through-slots where an over-tightened clamp might cause the rubber to protrude through the slots.  They're a little pricier, but then, what isn't through the dealer.  I still prefer them.

Bob Napier

Edited by Napes

No need for a kludge fix when BMW(or Gemi, Zebra,etc.) clamps are nearly the same price as domestic(Chinese) clamps. Next time you're at the wrecking yard, stock up!

Also, the clamps in that pic are way too tight, sheesh, you could probably get away without clamps on a stock regulator....unless you're using the wrong diameter hose, too!

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

I get all mine from parts cars. Nice BMW clamps. Even my Chevy truck wears a few! ALSO hose clamps should NEVER be so tight that they squeeze rubber through the holes.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

No need for a kludge fix when BMW(or Gemi, Zebra,etc.) clamps are nearly the same price as domestic(Chinese) clamps. 

Norma and Wurth are two other suppliers.  My BMW dealer parts guy said skip the ones from BMW and go with one of the other suppliers - better quality.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif