• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got The Donor For My M42 Swap!

tashakes

Today I purchased the donor for my M42 swap, a 1991 318i 5 speed.  It does have 199K miles, but looks nice and cost near to nothing.  I will be parting out the rest of the stuff I don't use, so pretty much my swap will be free.  I kinda like the wheels, so I may keep them.  I will also be selling my M10 with the EFI conversion.

I will receive it next week, and hope the engine is in good condition, the guy that inspected it seems to like it, no strange sounds and easy to start.

Let the swap games begin!   Muahahaha!

post-39605-0-84494400-1385582105_thumb.j

post-39605-0-80783000-1385582121_thumb.j

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Hey tashakes,

Nice find!  I've been tinkering with the idea of fuel injection.  I may be interested in your old setup...I don't live too far from you...I'm in La Mesa.  I would love to check out your engine before you pull it out of the car.

Thanks

Alan

11 year work in progress

Make sure you  check the profile gasket on the M42.They are know to fail.  Also  check the upper oil pan bolts, the buzzy engine makes them back out. You will need to drop the lower oil pan to get a look/see at the upper oil pan bolts. Let me know if you need any M42 engine stuff. I  have extra's from a rebuild myself. Good luck with the engine swap.

dlm ny country

Thanks, I am excited about the project.

@albone:  you are welcome to check it out and drive it any time.  I love the EFI setup, but my engine is tired and instead of a rebuild I want some additional power.  It is great to get in the car and turn the key, it starts every time and there is no issues.

#dlm, I will take you up on that offer, one of the issues I have is if I have to use the cat converter from the 318, I have not seen anything regarding that.  Another issue I face is that since I have the EFI and came with the car, I will have to sort what belongs to what when I take out the M10.  

Cheers.

Hey Squirreljihad--what color was the E30 318is you parted out?  I have a nice red '91 (tan interior) and am looking for some pieces for it--mostly tan interior stuff but other parts here and there (like a limited slip).  Drop me an instant message if you're parting the car.  Have lots of '02 stuff if you wanna do some swapping...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

on a 200k engine, replace the chain guides.

If they fail, the thing munches itself...  the hard rubber delaminates from

the aluminum guides, and get sucked through the chain.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have a nice red '91 (tan interior) and am looking for some pieces for it--mostly tan interior stuff

mike

My donor has beige interior but it's a 4 door and not an is. If you need something from it let me know.

Curious as to what Engine Mount Arms you use to mount the M42 in your 02?

Most probably classicdaily mounts. Not sure about the exhaust manifold yet.

OP, I am in need of heater/ac blower motor and fan for my 91 318is. let me know if that will be available. Thanks

Hello. Yes. I will let you know as soon as I start taking apart the car. Give me a week or two. Thanks. Edited by tashakes