• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Tire Thing...again! (185/70-13)

Mike Self

Sorry to bring this flogged topic up yet again, but my tire need has become more urgent after discovering a significant-sized nail in one nearly worn out Yoko AVID T4.  It holds air for a week or so, but (1) it's not gonna heal itself and (2) I have to keep an eye on it. 

Someone on the board had recently bought four Achilles Platinum tires (don't laugh, they're H rated) but hadn't had much time with 'em to form a judgment.  Do you now?  Primarily interested in wet performance as it rains a lot here in Ohio (no snow--don't drive the 02 in it any more). 

Crusing through on-line tire ads I found a source for Bridgestone Potenza RE740s, but according to the Bridgestone site they are no longer available in that size.  Anyone had experience with those tires on their 02?

And are there any other brands I should be looking at?  There are an amazing number of tire brands in that size that I've never heard of, so am kinda lost...thought I could put this off 'till spring but doesn't look that way.

TIA folks

mike

PS--don't wanna switch to 14's--I like my factory alloys too much. 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike,

I had a good experience with the Kumho Solus all weather on my 04 Chrysler Concorde.  I see Tire Rack is carying them in 185/70-13.   Just a thought.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

tires-easy.com

bridgestone potenza 740  Great price too

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Bridgestone-Potenza-RE740-185_70R13-86T-BSW&details=Ordern&typ=R-229112&cart_id=26333828.135.31949&ranzahl=4&Breite=185&Quer=70&Felge=13&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=135&m_s=3&x_tyre_for=ALL&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL

I bought mine here and even the shipping was reasonable.... of course my car has not been driven so I cannot attest to anything but I am very happy with the brand and price and they feel real sticky when I rub them late at night... hmmm  wonder why they are sticky

Edited by austinmf

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Mike,

There an amazing number of tire brands on the market now because it's easier to sell Chinese tires here now (I think tariffs were lowered).  Many of them have american sounding generic names, but if you track down the company, you'll figure out that it's chinese.  Now, I'm not saying they're all crap and shouldn't be trusted, but.....   yeah. 

I had to search all over recently to get whitewalls in 185/75-14 for the truck.  I ended up going with Summit Racing for some Hankooks (Korean, at least), which turned out excellent when I put them on the stock steelies (painted to match the body). 

It looks like they have a couple 185/70-13s as well http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=185%2F70-13&SortBy=None&SortOrder=Ascending

There are an amazing number of tire brands in that size that I've never heard of, so am kinda lost...

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Just a note for Austinmf:  I'd be a little leary of the the Bridgestone Potenze 740s advertised by Tires Easy.com...I just got off the phone with Bridgestone and that model tire in that size was discontinued in 2008, so those tires are at least five years old!

Looks like it's either Kuhmos or Achilles Platinums...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note for Austinmf:  I'd be a little leary of the the Bridgestone Potenze 740s advertised by Tires Easy.com...I just got off the phone with Bridgestone and that model tire in that size was discontinued in 2008, so those tires are at least five years old!

mike

excellent point Mike.  just because a tire has tread and is unused does not mean it is still good.  like food, tires get stale with age.  rubber gets hard (low traction) light/ozone dries out the sidewalls, etc.  always ask for the DOT "born on" date when buying new tires. it is molded into the sidewall of every tire.  do not buy them if they are more than a couple years old.

2xM3

Cooper cobras, a decent 205-65-13, i ran them a while. Very good dry, but merely acceptable in wet weather...

79' 320i (comfy modified daily driver)

73' 2002 (weekend beater crusier/rolling resto)

73' 2002tii (superfast rust bucket undergoing restoration)

72' tii (parts car)  ...99' SV650  ...00' KTM 380 2 stroke ...06' Kawasaki Ninja 500R ...96' F-250 7.3L turbo diesel (towtruck)

Is the tire date info in the oval?  

Looks like it's either Kuhmos or Achilles Platinums...

mike

post-40420-0-84132400-1380719854_thumb.j

Edited by austinmf

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

so my tires were made 51st week 1960   :P

They must have made another batch since 2008....  point well taken on old tires... and old rubber for that matter...

My rims are FILTHY!

Edited by austinmf