• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking Steering Box

zeffino

Ciao

Has anyone considered filling a seeping steering box with a grease gun and standard grease as a temporary fix until a suspension rehab?  The lower seal on my steering box is leaking pretty good and gear oil is gone in a couple of weeks.  It seems to me that a thicker viscosity lubrication might not leak out so quickly.  Thanks for any comments or ideas.

Zeffino

Grease will make it VERY stiff; you should use factory recommended lube in there.  If you're bound and determined, you might try putting in some STP--thinner than grease but thicker than the standard lubricant.  But this would be FOR SHORT TERM ONLY--new steering boxes are NLA and most used ones have lotsa miles on 'em...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Don't drive it with a leaking or dry box !! It is going to be expensive in the long run. We have the seals to reseal it for much less $$ than a rebuilt steering box.

HTH,

Max

Edited by Maximillian

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

I had a steering box rebuilt one time by a ZF authorized place and it came back with a clearish grease in it. Long story, I had it re-done and had the factory recommended oil put in it. But if a ZF rebuild facility used grease in a rebuilt box, must not be a too bad of an idea.

Driverssidemotormount_zpsc9717040.jpg

Edited by BillWilliams

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Bill,

Might I ask which ZF Authorized did the rebuild? Are they still around?

Thanks,

Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

Well, i just got my second used steering box in the mail and just like the first, it is useless.

I'm 0 for 2 on buying used steering boxes so I bit the bullet and spent $350 rebuilt box from 2002 AD. 

Hopefully there won't be any issues.

As a result, i have one core i can spare right now if anybody wants to pay a wee-bit for it and cover shipping. 

I already sold the other core to my local mechanic.

I'll have a 3rd core once I swap the rebuild box with my old one.

-josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

• 3 years later...
24 minutes ago, bwalvoord said:

I came across this thread looking for information on steering box re-builders.  Andrew,  is this something you still do or does anyone have any recommendations?  

Yes, this is something I still do.  By all means, shoot me an email and we can go from there.  

adamsautosport@gmail.com