• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Faq Sucks

rover1

I'm using a tablet I try to download the app and the link takes me to a app that's not really about 02's. I type in Ireland radiator in the search engine a the answer I get is nil results found. There used to a (sight search) and a (forum) search it worked awesome.

that is not helpful  (or readable)

there is a forum section for site suggestions and questions.

the new site rocks if you know how to use it.

i typed "ireland and radiator" into the search box just like i would have in old site and got 10 pages of results......

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

I don't think it sucks at all - it's damn nice, and kudos to Steve for all his efforts.

If there's an "app" - it's likely a generic forums app, and works on all IP.Board brand forum software, not an 02 FAQ specific thing.  (at least that's how most of the other 'forum' apps work).  I'd recommend maybe you just use the web, and let the server & browser detect/set to using the Mobile theme.  Works well for me.

The new Search is a bit finicky - play with it a bit (try the Advanced search option where you can focus it better) - but it works pretty well once you're used to it.  Google searching is going to take a bit longer, as it has to crawl the new site to index everything (Incl. the old content).

Patience, grasshopper... ;-)

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

• Administrators

I'm using a tablet I try to download the app and the link takes me to a app that's not really about 02's. I type in Ireland radiator in the search engine a the answer I get is nil results found. There used to a (sight search) and a (forum) search it worked awesome.

Very constructive. Thanks for your input.

I just searched the forums for Ireland Radiator and that returned 250 results.

You do not have to use the app if you do not want to. The forum works without it. Tapatalk is an app that allowed you to read forums from your phone. I actually prefer the mobile view, but some people like the app. You have a choice.

Steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

I'm a little confused as well.  When I type in "Ireland and radiator" the answer I get is "no results found".  And how do I access the "advanced search" that I see refered to.  The search box that is in the upper right corner yielded 164 answers under "ireland radiator" not the 250 Steve says he got, and many of the topics that came up had absolutely nothing to do with radiators at all. What am I not doing correctly (in addition to general living subjects)? 

Bob Napier

Also, when you type something into the search, to the right of the entry box you need to select WHERE you want to search. So if you are on this thread and you try a search without changing the little box from "this topic" to "forums" you will only be searching this forum. 

It actually reminded me to tell you, Steve, that if at all possible that box should default to "forums" to avoid confusion. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

I think we all are suffering from a bit of withdrawal, The old site was familiar and predictable. The new site has the promise of substantially more features and capability, but with a bit steeper learning curve.

One of the big changes (at least for me) has been how search works. The search box at the top right changes behaviors slightly depending on context. It defaults to search within the topic if you are in a post, or within the specific forum if you are in a forum with the posts listed, You can change that behavior for a given search by clicking on the grey box that shows where it will search (e.g. "this forum) or you can click on the gear icon to the far right of the search box which goes to advanced search.

Depending on how you use it you can get varying results.... So just typing Ireland Radiator in the box above this post won't help much because it will just search this post, changing the search target to "forums" gets 250 results, or going back to the '02 General Discussion forum and will get you 164 results. Adding quotes to force asearch on the phrase "Ireland Radiator" narrows substantially...

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

+1.  

On the compactness point -- I wonder if Steve could create a compact theme where each topic list takes up only one line.  Even the current Mobile theme is does not achieve that and so is not compact enough.

Byas