• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I painted my e12 with a roller

Pierre

I love it. But then again, I would.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Nice job! Reminds me of back in '69 or so when I was experimenting chemically and decided to paint my VW with a paint brush. It went on great, but then, when both the paint and I dried out and I drove the car I had the paint coming off in large purple sheets. Among the many lessons I learned that day was that painting is largely prep work!

we painted our tractor with oil based enamel a few years ago...unfortunately by the end of summer, after sitting outside, it look'd like a well used chalkboard

i also tried painting the trunk of my 69 with a color matched, high grade urethane enamel several years ago...it shined for about 6 months then look'd like crap

Pierre,

Slavs here,

I like the utalitarian approach because most of these old BMW's are more utalitarian vs. snobby garage queens who wear Guci-Glasurit paint but hide from the sun in fear of UV rays which may bring about premature fading.

How much prep work have you done ? Sanding etc. When I needed to prep the door on my 1600, I stripped all the paint. So, when I needed to prime the exposed metal, I had a quart of quality metal etching primer but no spray equipment. So, I purchased one of those Preval Sprayer-spray Guns:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/preval-9-oz-complete-spray-gun-267.html

It consists of a jar with the sprayer mounted on the top. Sprayers are also sold seperately once you run out of aerosol. I was able to spray my entire door. I used 3 thinned out coats. It worked so well, I decided to use it on other sections of the car where I performed bodywork. You would probably need something larger to spray the car with paint, but for primer, this works great.

Slavs

Slavs

Hey Slavs,

I did not go to bare metal except where I had rust. I just sanded the paint to a smooth surface. I did use plastic filler to finish up the door moulding channel, the roundel circles on the hood and trunk and the side markers, and then primered over that. The light rust came off with sandpaper. The heavier stuff needed a wire brush. I had the cut out sections on the rocker panel and weld sheet metal pieces I cut out of my E21 parts car.

I used POR 15 on the rusty sections I cleaned up. I applied it with a brush. Some small section were left alone. The paint is supposed to be a rust inhibitor too. We'll see how it holds out.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

• 5 years later...

Hey Pierre,

Nice work on the low budget paint job!! I love it. I wanted to check in on how it's holding up 4 years later as I've got a few small bodywork spots I need to paint over. I like the idea of using a base paint that can be mixed to match the original color, rather than trying to find an existing color that is "close". Thanks!

Wow.  Way to revive a 5 year old post.  It's been 5 years ALREADY???

I am happy to report that the paint is holding well.  I am getting some rust bubbling though a couple of sopts which means I did not clean the rust ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

I fact, over time, the surface has become smoother and the paint is looking better.

Last summer, I painted my purple Z3 with a roller.  This time I went with Behr enamel exterior paint which can also be tinted.

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipMyCwGfv85wrWH2wbGeOeWuUILP2csJ3JaJZD1_

IMG_5968.JPG

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam