• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Input on My Bentley Book Title

Ok, 2002 brethren. Bentley Publishers is trying to choose a title for my book.

I'm looking for your input.

The working title of the book has been:

"Car Nut: Why Men Love Cars, and How Fixing BMWs Saved My Sanity (a memoir with actual useful stuff)." If anything accurately describes the book, it's "a memoir with actual useful stuff."

Bentley has come back with the following suggestion:

"Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic" (with optional subtitle).

If we go that route, I rather like "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic: An Insight into the Male Mind."

Any comments on the old versus new title? Any suggestions for subtitle?

The parameters are:

-Bentley knows its business. Originally they wanted BMW in the title to target it as specifically as possible to the core market, but I felt that it could turn the book off to a wider audience. They feel that I'm a sufficiently known quantity in the BMW world that the Hack reference will work in terms of pulling in their core demographic.

-What title would make YOU more or less likely to buy it?

-What title would make your wife/significant other more or less likely to buy it?

I will point Bentley directly at this thread, as I've done with a similar thread on my FB page.

Thanks.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I understand their view regarding the BMW core...maybe putting BMW in a subtitle would be best? That way the main title 'Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic" could be the lead off and the subtitle can have BMW in it to draw in BMW people without the main title possibly turning a segment off...

Or the title can be about car therapy, self therapy, sanity saver type stuff that could interest a wide range of people that really do live the 'mechanic' life whenever they can because it is the best therapy for a lot of us...whatever type of car, we're all the same inside when we're wrenching...right? Dave Barry meets Motor Trend...;-)

Can't wait to read it!

Stephen

"Confessions of a Hack Mechanic, and Why Guys Love Cars."

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Confessions of a Hack Mechanic -

Life with the Original Ultimate Driving Machine

I'll second this.

Impressive... I love Bentley... I have a sizable stack of their books that is always growing.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

I like "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic," sub title is optional.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Rob,

I have been a automotive book dealer for over 20 years now. (MidlifeClassicCars.com) One bit of advice I could give you is to make sure you have a good cover on the book. That will help sales far more than the title will.

I have seen crappy books do good because they had a great cover on them and I have see unbelievably good books that had bad covers not sale at all. I see this all the time. I have over 6 different books on LS engines and the one that sales the best has a far better cover on it then all the rest. But time after time I have customers telling me the book was poorly written and they go back and buy one of the other books that has a bad cover. I tell everyone that its not as good as the others but they still buy it because the cover looks good.

RB is a great publisher and I sale the mess out of their books. But sometimes their covers can be a little bland. IMHO

Good luck with the book and let me know when it comes out so I can stock it.

Guest gliding_serpent

how about doing a bit of Dr. Strangelove style title

"main title"

or

"how I learned to keep my sanity and love old cars"

the words of the title are not key, just the strangelove title format. good luck