• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

opinion wanted on wheel color - gold, black or silver?

Cynical_1

What color rims?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What color rims?

• gold
    • black
    • silver
    • get some different rims

trying to plan out my 69 roundie resto...

car will be Audi Aviator Grey:

1062855-2.jpg

question is - what wheel color looks "best" with it.

black "chromium"?

53068462N.jpg

gold?

53068087.jpg

silver?

53088543.jpg

car will be lowered, and have rabbit flares, etc... will NOT be "hellaflush" however...

any thoughts or opinions?

1988 BMW 325 - M52 swapped - Hilde.

1969 BMW 2002 - Griselda - 20VT coming soon...

"project blog" - www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com

and the wheel selection is not a definite. just put pics up for reference of the color. might change the style to something more conservative...

i cannot afford a $1000+ set of "real" rims right now, just looking for color opinions...

Definitely not gold.

If you go with black wheels, or a charcoal/gun metal dark grey, then I think your trim should also be the same.

If you plan to use the trim in stock form, then wheels should be silver.

You could go trimless but I think that aviator grey is not a good color for a trimless look.

I just got my 74 tii painted a VW color. (Platinum grey metallic.) I painted a trim line instead of installing the belt molding. The trim line is polaris and the wheels will be silver. I am not a purist obviously. I could post some pictures.

Opinion about colors, and trim: ask 5 people and you will get 8 or more different opinions.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

trying to plan out my 69 roundie resto...

car will be Audi Aviator Grey:

1062855-2.jpg

car will be lowered, and have rabbit flares, etc... will NOT be "hellaflush" however...

any thoughts or opinions?

I used to have that exact car (2001 225qc) except mine was lake silver metallic. The aviator grey was always my favorite but I couldn't find that color when I bought it.

Anyway, I vote silver. Would match up best with the trim

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

pierre - please post or email me a pic of the car, would love to see it...

i am contemplating running the trim in a super gloss black, with black bumpers and grilles... or, just running no trim at all and leave the bumpers and grilles chrome... don't know which would look best to me...

only reason to not run trim is i have none of the securing clips for it...

Don't know about wheels/colour. Whatever you fancy.

Why not paint the car a period correct BMW colour, ie, Bristol?

Bristol grey looks (on my laptop) same as on the car you pictured.

didn't know that there was such a factory color. doesn't look bad, except for the "blueness" of it in the sun (google search) which kinda turns me off...

this car will be far from original in any sense of the word... and almost as much VW as it will be BMW, if not more...

Why not BMW Bristol Grey??? Please explain the differences that make you want the Audi color instead.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,321010

DSC_0187.jpg

r900x600-C-abe53e47-43335.jpg

Oh, and for the wheels: silver is my first choice, but black is second. The gold would only look any good if the lips were polished, but those wheels don't have any lips, so that nixes that idea. On that note, I feel that the styling of '02s need wheels with lips, the deeper and shinier the better. I do like the BBS styling of those though, just feel they are better suited on a '90s Acura/Honda or Toyota, not the Old School styling of an '02.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

i had the black/polished wheel look on my old race car, my 81 scirocco... didn't really care for the look all that much though.

61749_433426995727_8310403_n.jpg

and regarding the color, i guess the Bristol is a good color, i have just seen pics of it on google of it looking bluish in some lights. i know the Audi Aviator does not do that...

wheel choice - i'd love to get a set of Enkei 92 (classic) rims, but they don't make them with the width/offset i want to run. and "real" BBS rims are out of my budget.

slam it so low that you can't even see the Bentley center cap logos, or even the wheels! problem solved!

do you even know my question, or what this conversation is about?

thought not...

slam it so low that you can't even see the Bentley center cap logos, or even the wheels! problem solved!

do you even know my question, or what this conversation is about?

thought not...

yeah, i do. i participated in your poll and made an additional comment. can you guess which answer i picked, or are you still butt-hurt by a harmless joke? relax, bro.