• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking about getting rid of it...

Roca

Such a shame because its overall a really clean car. 75 - 4 speed, blue on Polaris exterior. The interior is really clean and the exterior is pretty good except for some minor rust of the valence and a dent on the door. I've got the original bill of sale and a bunch of records going back to the early 80s before it sat through most of the 90s. Overall its a great car and what not, but mechanically it's been a lot of trouble over the past 2 weeks. Just a month ago I had it starting up almost instantly once warm and nearly instantly on cold with a great idle. I thought I was going to be driving this thing for a while.

It all started with a seized water pump. I was stoked to find out the repair was easy and parts weren't super expensive. Fixed and running great again, but 30 miles later - it seems I've got a blown head gasket (at the very least).

I love this car, but honestly I'm considering just selling it as is and getting a honda for the mean time. I just graduated college and have a really great job and just need something reliable for the mean time.

What do you guys think? How hard is it to fix (I did it before on a the ex's early 90s volvo 740). How much could I get just selling it as is now?

1975 2002 Granatrot

1995 M3 Dakar

doing anything else. Do a compression test and/or a leakdown test to determine what's going on.

Is it possible that you didn't completely refill the cooling system when you changed the water pump, leaving a big air bubble where coolant should be, and causing overheating? I'd check that too...

You'll get more $$ for a running car than one with a problem that makes it undriveable. Replacing a head gasket is not a really big deal, especially if you have a friend or two who has done it before. The thing to watch out for is mission creep--replacing the gasket leads to grinding the valves/replacing valve guides/seals, then maybe a hot cam, then...why not new rings and bearings etc etc.

Doing just the head gasket is a weekend project so long as the head isn't warped (check with a steel straightedge)--if that's the case you'll have to have it milled flat again or the gasket will blow again.

Anyway, just consider options before giving up. Old cars do break, sometimes in sequence and it can be discouraging...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Headgaskets are easy, I've driven my car for the last 3 years with no issues. Keep up on your maintenance and you're good! But a headgasket is about 1 day off 1 day on plus a day of machine work. So it's pretty darn easy to do and in my opinion better than going to a Honda!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Hey, Is the car in San Diego?

If so Carl at LJI has them for $40, I can lend you a torque wrench, and a place to do it.

It's not that bad, a Saturday project and at least the car will be easier to sell.

Mark

eight 5 eight, 2 four 3, 1980

73tii

I appreciate all the supportive responses. Its definitely tough and I would rather keep it than sell it. We'll see how this turns out. I'll get some pics and updates later on.

Mark/Pigpen - This kind of generosity is rare! Thanks so much! I'll shoot you a message in a bit.

1975 2002 Granatrot

1995 M3 Dakar

I appreciate all the supportive responses. Its definitely tough and I would rather keep it than sell it. We'll see how this turns out. I'll get some pics and updates later on.

Mark/Pigpen - This kind of generosity is rare! Thanks so much! I'll shoot you a message in a bit.

+1 for Mark.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Make that +2

So many great people on this forum ;-)

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”