• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this factory? Or possible? A 1971 square tail

austinmf

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably got smacked in the rear, and those parts were what was available. It happens to early cars up front as well from time to time.

Edit, it helps to click the link. Looks like someone is confused on the year.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

My guess is that there is some confusion of VIN/corresponding year. That or someone went to a lot of trouble to switch out nose clip, tail section, big bumpers, later gauges, etc.

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Way too much trouble plus square lights suck...Cept mine. :). I suspect a VIN swap. 2573xxx. Always good to bounce this off my homies.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

someone messed with the vin. there is nothing roundie about that car at all. it is a 74-76. title on that car would be suspect. i see there are no pic's in the ad of the vin sticker or the vin stamped on the right side strut tower. beware...

2xM3

Its a 74-76 guaranteed. If it was from california at any time...they may have doctored the VIN to get around smog.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I think it's a real 71 with front and rear Square replacements from a former chain reaction crash. Early roundie bumpers are nothing more than jewelry and the owner or restorer may have opted to freshen the appearance with parts that were more readily available at the time. Knowing what a complete PITA it is to align a trunk lid, I'd say that the absence of knee trim plus a roundie decklid, single solex AND a 71 impossible to remove emissions sticker make this a true early 71 from before the changeover. There once was a time that adding plastic wood to something made it hip and trendy, the gauge probably was transferred from the donor car.

300px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

5G45T55K73Gd3Ld3Hfc75262f2d57b2e816dd.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

Interesting. I offered $750 down from his original asking price and he will not return emails. IMHO there is little collector value in the car... And I have a lot more pics if anyone wants me to email them.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

The body is a late car.

The engine details, however, are from a pre- 72.

Wonder if maybe it got an engine AND sticker transplant?

There just aren't any shots of the parts that could conclusively answer the

question-

trunk inner panels, front frame rails, even the fusebox.

So who knows?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL