• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whos in front now?

BlindRhino

So my son wants a BMW. He thinks he needs an E30. Who wouldn't that is almost 15. So I suggest a 318i or an 02...NOPE needs a 325is...right I say, so how are you going to pay for this mister. SO he comes up with this to follow up the RESPECT YOUR ELDERS decal...for the back window of every BMW in town...uh huh I say....or is he a marketing genius and should I get BMW on the phone....

Thoughts? will this sell?

Thanks,

Russ

post-18099-1366765890363_thumb.jpg

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

For a teenager, I would recommend a E30 325 eta car versus an 325is. Big diving board bumpers will help protect the car. The eta car gets great gas mileage, fun to drive with a 5 speed, and the eta car is better around town car with lots of low end torque. My teenagers have had both and that's my take. No tickets in the eta car but they got a few in the 325i.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I couldn't agree more with g-man. If you can, find a es model. They took a lot of stuff from the is (interior, steering wheel, wheels, rear spoiler) and put it on there. They are torquey enough that your son will enjoy the drive, without the tickets.

Best of luck!

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

I had an 85 325e for a while when i was young. It had lots of low end torque which will make him feel like its "fast", but it's practical and safe too without actually being fast at all.

One PITA with those cars is the annoying "check control" system. The PCBs go bad and then the thing lights up like a Xmas tree, and you can never really trust whether the warnings are correct or not. Solid cars other than that

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

At 17, I've always wanted an E30 325, but then after seeing row after row of them in scrapyards due to electrical failures, and how poorly they perform in a crash, I convinced my brother to give me his old Volvo. 250 horsepower, turbo, made out of lead, comfy as a couch, I couldn't be happier ;)

IMG_2044.jpg

P.S. he's young, we tend to hit everything we can... He needs something with airbags. Just a thought.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

It ain't what you drive, it's how you drive it.

We were looking for a 4cyl E30 for our son. Both my wife and son were shopping for automatics. I insisted he get a manual trans car. My wife happened to find an 83 320is that fit the bill...and after learning a clutch, my son is so happy he didn't get an automatic. 100hp is plenty for a new driver. The four cylinder is nice to work on. Plenty of room. If he wants a 6cyl car, tell him he has to pay the difference in insurance costs. Preferably, find a 6cyl that needs a clutch. Let him wrestle out those torx bolts without a swivel socket.

Get him to a go kart track if he hasn't been. I remember my son's friend saying it hurt when he hit the tire wall. Duh, yeah kid. You don't just press the reset button in real life. Same friend that ~I~ now have to teach to drive a clutch as his parents only knew automatics.

Plan on getting him to a car control clinic, street survival, anything. We were fortunate that our son's driving lessons were taught by a fellow car control instructor.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Steve,

I've always admired the direction and decision you've made regarding you sons car. I applaud you and couldn't agree more with you.

I hope in 9 years when my son is ready to drive 100 hp cars are still available. ;)

I was never so thankful for my parents for shoving me into a volvo 240. After watching high school friends that apparently had 'drivers education' total, mustangs, fieros, and omni's. Thank God they were able to walk away, but unfortunatly they were tough lessons that weren't immediatly learned.

Learn to drive a stick. Deal with it or walk. An 'active' driver leaves less 'room' for other items to take importance over driving.

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

Thanks All for the opinions on the car. I keep pushing a 4cy his way and I like the idea of making him pay the difference in insurance! I think most any car with the exception of something with about 15 hp is to much for some of these kids. (no disrespect to you younger guys here)

We will keep the search on for a STICK SHIFT car..."If you can't drive a stick, you might as well get a minivan" my son said. We have always had a car or truck with a stick. It's the only way to learn. It keeps you in the game so to speak.

As far as the decal, it is a bit confrontational I thought. I think it would be good for a lemons race! Or cart track.

Thanks again guys!

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

I would buy one....maybe more if you sell them let me know, Gotta make all the truck guys in my area a little more pissed everyday

scrapped 75 2002

restoring to race car 75 2002

84 chevy custom deluxe, tow truck and parts hauler

At 17, I've always wanted an E30 325, but then after seeing row after row of them in scrapyards due to electrical failures, and how poorly they perform in a crash, I convinced my brother to give me his old Volvo. 250 horsepower, turbo, made out of lead, comfy as a couch, I couldn't be happier ;)

IMG_2044.jpg

P.S. he's young, we tend to hit everything we can... He needs something with airbags. Just a thought.

Disagree, most E30's in the scrapyards are there because of a broken timing belt. You have to change the timing belt ever 5 years or 60K miles. A lot of owners forget to do that and when the timing belt breaks, the engine is good for a boat anchor. E30's with automatics are often in the scrapyards due to the autotragic going south. 5 speeds are bullet proof.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Disagree, most E30's in the scrapyards are there because of a broken timing belt. You have to change the timing belt ever 5 years or 60K miles. A lot of owners forget to do that and when the timing belt breaks, the engine is good for a boat anchor. E30's with automatics are often in the scrapyards due to the autotragic going south. 5 speeds are bullet proof.

G-Man

Eh, Every 318 in there had very low mileage, some north of 150k, their 5 speeds chewed through like crazy and holes in the block. Only 1 6 cylinder had a failed timing belt, and it had 450,000 miles on it! WOW!

All of the others had suffered horrible electrical issues; one had caught fire from a bad positive connection. It was very strange to see such bulletproof cars neglected and dead.

This e30 was a piece of sheeeeit, and only had 150k on it. the transmission was torn out (broken), clutch shot and engine had a MASSIVE hole in it. How in the world does one blow up an M10?

It was very, very neglected and sun baked. A Florida car.

0331121553.jpg

On the topic of your son wanting an E30, just as he would with any car, MAKE SURE he looks through the maintenance history. When we bought my Volvo for my brother years ago, it needed a timing belt, axles and tires. 130,000 miles later it's in my hands and it's still running strong at 218,000 miles... Let's hope he finds a good E30 and not a basket case.

Good luck =]

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles