• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whos in front now?

BlindRhino

Jim,

That is a family favorite with my sons!

Gordon, We are going to continue the E30 hunt for the youngest son. We have about a year till he is 16 so we will have time to ferret out a good one, and oh hell yes with a stick!

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

is a really fun car. I've owned both an eta E30 and a 318is, and liked 'em both, but for different reasons. The eta is torquey, smooth and quiet--with a 2.87 diff it's only spinning 2k rpm at 60 mph--gets nearly 30 mpg on the highway.

The 318is has little low end torque, but comes on like gangbusters at about 3500 rpm. Engine revs at a given speed are almost identical to a 5 speed 2002 with a 3.64 diff, but the car is much quieter than a 2002--and is a blast to drive--amost as much fun as an 02, just more refined. I can hardly wait to replace my worn out shocks with a set of Bilsteins to see just how well it really handles.

Either would be a great first car, but I'd plop down on the side of the eta car 'cause they're a lot cheaper to find and I think the engine will last longer--especially with a new driver!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

is a really fun car. I've owned both an eta E30 and a 318is, and liked 'em both, but for different reasons. The eta is torquey, smooth and quiet--with a 2.87 diff it's only spinning 2k rpm at 60 mph--gets nearly 30 mpg on the highway.

The 318is has little low end torque, but comes on like gangbusters at about 3500 rpm. Engine revs at a given speed are almost identical to a 5 speed 2002 with a 3.64 diff, but the car is much quieter than a 2002--and is a blast to drive--amost as much fun as an 02, just more refined. I can hardly wait to replace my worn out shocks with a set of Bilsteins to see just how well it really handles.

Either would be a great first car, but I'd plop down on the side of the eta car 'cause they're a lot cheaper to find and I think the engine will last longer--especially with a new driver!

cheers

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

cheers

mike

My then 16 year old saved up his paper route money and bought a 1991 318is last year. It is super clean, parts are pretty cheap and he's learned a lot about fixing things. It has a M42 motor that gets 30+mpg and fuel injection. He looks cool driving it and won't win any drag races. We have other e30's and other than some regular religious maintenance, they have been good cars. It's when the PO issues show up after soom dufus tried to fix something they didn't know about...but that could be any car.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is