• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HOTWHEELS knows whats good for them. Look what I got...

1971Ginger

Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, most drugstores- CVS, Walgreens, some grocery stores have them in POP displays. If you are really into the hunt, find out when those stores re-stock.

Ebay is a quick way to buy, but expect to pay $3 or more, plus shipping. If you score one at one of the other locations it should only cost 99 cents or at most $1.29, plus the thrill of the kill.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Most megastores probably still have some 2011 model year stock to sell, but i expect to see new 2012 models showing up very soon. i think Matchbox would do the 02 better justice for the purists than the "racier" Hot Wheels brand...maybe someday they'll do a 1600 in florida (fat chance).

Um, Hot Wheels owns Matchbox and have for a while now. Just read the back of a Matchbox package for the Mattel... They do very little cross breading between the two. Meaning, if Hot Wheels does a make/model it is very unlikely that Matchbox will do the same make/model....

I too just received my mail order Hot Wheels 2002. I will find my nest ones in the stores though... and am thinking of painting one as a factory 2002 Turbo, though don't know what I'm going to do with the round taillights yet... :b...

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Matchbox and HotWheels are both owned by Mattel, but I think there is some division between the groups. Matchbox will tend to do better versions on cars with a touch more detail- compare the recent HW 510 with the MB 914. Matchbox even used a factory color for the model. I always like to see what off-center cars Matchbox comes out with. Some pedestrian, some more exotic. I don't think Hot Wheels ever came out with a TVR model.

Unfortunately, since both are part of Mattel, the uniqueness of MB may filter away.

Growing up, I had both, but I was more of a Matchbox kid. I especially liked their king-sized trucks/car transporters that were scaled to fit with the cars.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

i stumbled upon prestige hobbies today in anaheim ca. who claim to have the largest selection of diecast cars on the west coast, new and older and i believe it. he had three, i bought two, $3.00 ea. and he will be getting more. EDIT $4.00 ea.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The other day I got a Matchbox set that included, a Caterham Super 7, Porsche 914, E Type coupe, Volvo P1800, and an Olds Vista Cruser! What a line up! Almost perfect! But alas, no 02.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 3 weeks later...
Hot wheels finally " manned up" and did it.. The released a nice little roundie in race livery and flares galore. I already had a few Datsun 510 Hotwheels to represent the little sport coupe but now i got the real thing and this thing is king!

thanks hw!

Just noticed something interesting, some of the white models are stamped E10 on the bottom. i got a few white ones and some are not.stamped with the same.code so its a cool coincidence.

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.