• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark plug wire options

Psymon

Apologies for the noob question but I searched and didn't come up with an answer. I have had my car for a few weeks now and put on about 300 miles. Everything seems fine but I would like to start doing some basic maintenance on it so I have a starting point. I would like to replace the spark plugs(getting NGK BP5ES) and the wires. Where does one recommend getting the wires from? Dealer,bavauto,local chain like advanced auto or somewhere else? And is there anything specific to look for ? My car is pretty stock with a 32/36 weber.

Thanks

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

a 2002, not a generic set from the local auto parts emporium.

02 spark plug terminals are four inch long bakelite affairs with built-in resistors. They're long because the plug itself is buried several inches into the cylinder head.

If you don't want to spring for an entire set of wires/terminals, you can examine your terminals closely. If they're not cracked , or pieces broken out of the skirt at the plug end, go buy some bulk copper spark plug wire and make new wires, re-using your old terminals.

If you are gonna buy a whole new wire set, they're available from a number of sources, among which are Blunt, Maxmillian, Autohaus Arizona or your local BMW dealer. IIRC they're made by Bosch, Beru and others.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I bought some Karlyn STI wires from Blunt. They seem well made, from Germany

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Anyone try the wires from Ireland Engineering?

Ireland makes a nice set of high performance silicone wire set in blue or red that will last forever. If you want better then stock try these.

Mike K

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

I like Blunt's Karlyn wires... around $45 if I remember correctly. Make sure there's no "R" in the NGK plug part # (mine were 7333; resistors are in the plug wires, I think?) and unscrew the tips on the plugs and off you go.

best,

Christian

I buy AMC generic cut- to- fit V8 wire sets by reputable manufacturers

(Accel, up until recently)

then cut them to fit and crimp 'em myself and

end up with a wire set that usually costs less than $40,

works well, and lasts almost forever.

All our cars are set up this way now.

What I do,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have and like the kingsborne set in Black but you need to call them direct if you want them inserted into a plastic loom. Also let them know if you have a short or long coil wire (depending on your year/mounting location)

I did need to send my first set back as one of the wires was made too short, they fixed the problem but I still had to pay to ship them back. I suspect that the IE wires are also made by this outfit, but I can't guarantee it.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--