• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new 1973 2002 - pics inside!

malagalaga

Howdy all,

I recently picked up a new (to me) 2002. I've had a few of these and have always been searching for the "right one." I'm not especially mechanically inclined (although I like to tinker), so I wasn't looking for another project. Just wanted a nice one to enjoy lightly on country roads and for occasional errands. And, of course, it will be a regular at Cars and Coffee.

After four plus years of casually looking, I finally found "the one." Never thought I'd find a local car...

This 2/73-build Sahara was sold new in May of 1973 as a graduation gift in Austin, Texas, to a UT Law grad. He proceeded to take it straight to Acapulco for the summer before moving up to the Dallas area to, I assume, take a new job. I haven't found any Mexican contraband yet, but I'll keep looking. I don't think he was there on a religious mission! The car was a daily driver until 1983, when it was parked because something went wrong. Flash forward to 2000 and the owner's brother in law finally pried it from the garage where it had been sitting (from what he said, his sister - the original owner's wife - was more than happy to see it move). He spent the next 10 or so years restoring it, replacing basically everything with new parts. The engine has been thoroughly gone through, it has a new Weber, an upgraded Sanden a/c compressor, new suspension with Boge shocks, a new paint job, E21 Recaros covered in new vinyl, rebuilt transmission, new clutch, new chrome all over including bumpers, new rubber around all doors and windows, new E21 sport wheels, new carpet... the list goes on. Frankly, he spent a fortune, which is enough to talk me out of ever trying to do a restoration.

I bought the car from him two weeks ago and he included a handful of spares and all of the records including the original window sticker, which I have since framed. Nifty.

I've only done a handful of small things to it since acquiring it, but nothing major. Fixed a popping door break, flipped the kidney grille (simple mistake on his part), cleaned up the original headliner and added the Sport steering wheel.

My plans are pretty minimal. First, I want to address some running issues:

- idle is a bit lumpy. I think it idles too low.

- pulls to the left under braking (front driver caliper appears to be sticking)

- broken wheel stud (my fault - part is on order. DO NOT BREAK A FRONT WHEEL STUD! THEY ARE FLIPPING IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND NEW!)

- strut mounts are getting tired

- needs a few paint touch ups here and there from rock chips and some stress cracks

- needs some engine bay detailing including paint and new stickers.

- has anyone ever raised E21 recaros? I know everyone likes to sit low, but I feel like these are just a touch too low for me. I'm not short (5'11), but I have long legs. Maybe I just need to get used to them!

And I'd like to do a few upgrades...

- Not crazy about the 320i wheels - make me an offer! I want either the tii-style alloys (as everyone calls them) or maybe the Opel steel wheels. I also have a set of NOS hubcaps with roundels, so I might consider that look.

- Would like to upgrade the swaybars - my last car had light blue ones. Not sure of the manufacturer, but they were a definite improvement

- New headliner would be excellent, but I'm not sure I want to undertake that with a sunroof.

- I'm thinking about doing a leather wrapping around the steering wheel to match the seats. I ripped off the old leather, which was torn and beyond repair.

It's not a show car, but it's definitely the prettiest one I've had. As anyone local will tell you, Sahara is not my favorite shade... but it's not my least favorite, either. I wanted something a little different - dark blue (Riviera!), Nevada, Agave - those are my faves.

Anyway, here are the promised photos. Happy to hear comments, criticisms and suggestions!

bmw1a.jpg

bmw2jd.jpg

bmw3ui.jpg

bmw4p.jpg

bmw5f.jpg[/img]

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

That car is hot and those wheels look great om it. Maybe you can get a photo shop savvy member to create a hub capped version of your car..

Good choice

ira

Wow - what a nice find! The car looks really nice as-is.

Your carpet looks like mine (even the mats matched the ones my car used to have) - came from Bimmerparts in PA.

Congratulations.

dashboard.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

After i parted out a car of the same color, i fell in love with it. Great find.

You can probably replace the webbing under the seat and you won't sink as low. It is an easy replacement and Aardvarc sells the webbing. it made a GIANT difference (on a previous car).

Good luck with it.

-josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Love it, that looks really nice. '73 is my favorite year of these cars, I searched of and on for several years before buying Vern last May. Vern has the same carpet too, just saw Jim's post.

Only thing I'd change cosmetically is straightening the BMW CCA badge on the grill.

With the pulling to one side while braking, could be the flexible lines. They constrict over time and become a one way valve. The pedal pressure pushes fluid through the line, the fluid cannot flow out as it should, resulting in the caliper sticking or catching first. If you do any brake work, replace them.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Thanks all. Yes, I think the carpet is from Bimmerparts... pretty sure I saw that in the receipts. It's very high quality feeling. The front mats are actually floor mats over carpet, which is nice.

I have fixed the CCA badge - I noticed it after I looked at the photos, too! It may still need to be tightened a little. I didn't add it, although I am a CCA member.

Anyone have a VIN close to mine? 2588760

As for the wheel price - make me an offer. They are only two or three years old, so I'd be surprised if they have more than 5,000 miles on them. The only water they have ever seen is from being washed. The previous owner did not drive the car in rain and neither will I.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Love it, that looks really nice. '73 is my favorite year of these cars, I searched of and on for several years before buying Vern last May. Vern has the same carpet too, just saw Jim's post.

Only thing I'd change cosmetically is straightening the BMW CCA badge on the grill.

With the pulling to one side while braking, could be the flexible lines. They constrict over time and become a one way valve. The pedal pressure pushes fluid through the line, the fluid cannot flow out as it should, resulting in the caliper sticking or catching first. If you do any brake work, replace them.

Oops, meant to respond to the brakes... it has stainless lines on it now. Do you think there would be an issue there? I jacked it up and definitely noticed some resistance from the driver's front wheel. Then when trying to remove it, I broke the wheel stud! So I haven't done anything since. I'm not crazy about driving the car with three of four studs (ok, fine, there's another stud behind the wheel - ha, yeah right). I'll have to get a shop to loosen the remaining three lug nuts.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

what are the model and size of the bridgestone tires on those E21 alloys? i like their proportion - fill out the wheel wells nicely.

edit: oh, but those are 5.5" wide rims i think. tires that size might be too wide for the 4.5" wheels i need rubber for, rats.

Oops, meant to respond to the brakes... it has stainless lines on it now. Do you think there would be an issue there? I jacked it up and definitely noticed some resistance from the driver's front wheel. Then when trying to remove it, I broke the wheel stud! So I haven't done anything since. I'm not crazy about driving the car with three of four studs (ok, fine, there's another stud behind the wheel - ha, yeah right). I'll have to get a shop to loosen the remaining three lug nuts.

I run the stock OEM rubber lines, which are fine for the type of driving I do. If you are going to resolve the pulling/sticking issue, I'd recommend a qualified mechanic rebuild the calipers and inspect the flexible lines.

Years ago on the '73 I drove from '89-'94, I wanted to put flexible stainless on, I was advised against it, they're more for racing and high braking temperatures, the stainless braids tend to fray with tight turns in neighborhoods and city streets.

Lug nuts should be around 74-76ft/lb for alloy wheels. That's what I run on Vern, the M3 and the X3.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

adawil2002 - curious what the source is for your torque specs for alloy wheels being different than steel wheels. I've been torque-ing my Ronal alloy basketweaves to factory spec for steel wheels - 65 lb-ft for the past 27 yrs. and have never found a lug lose when I've removed 'em. You may be right, but I just wondered what your source for the 74-76 lb-ft torque was. I've run in O'Fest Autocrosses on four different occassions and they've always checked the torque with their torque wrench set at 65 lb-ft.

Bob Napier

adawil2002 - curious what the source is for your torque specs for alloy wheels being different than steel wheels. I've been torque-ing my Ronal alloy basketweaves to factory spec for steel wheels - 65 lb-ft for the past 27 yrs. and have never found a lug lose when I've removed 'em. You may be right, but I just wondered what your source for the 74-76 lb-ft torque was. I've run in O'Fest Autocrosses on four different occassions and they've always checked the torque with their torque wrench set at 65 lb-ft.

Bob Napier

1997 E36 M3 owners manual. Wrote it on my torque wrench, since that's what

I use it for most. I apply that spec across the board for my BMWs, which all have alloys.

Andrew Wilson