• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do for a living?

Frenchee

I'm just curious as to what everyone here does for a living.
I still can't decide on a major in school and I was wondering what other 2002 owners did for work.
Thanks

UPDATE:

Wow, this post got so many replies. Incredible.
It's been a few years I've really looked at the forums. I sold my 2002's. Got an e30 s50. Sold that and got a nice imola e46 zhp to DD.

I was studying international business at San Jose State. Thats when I had asked this question. I wasn't really enjoying it. I left state and took all my lower division engineering classes at a community college. I'm finally transfering back as a Mech Engineering at SJSU. Also got a job at the NASA Ames fabrication shop which really helped motivate me into this decision. Been realy busting my a$$ in school which has minimized my time for cars.

Need to catch up on all this. Thanks guys.

Edited by Frenchee
  • Like 2

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Hey Frenchee,

Ok, I'll bite - not much known about me here...'cept my love of custom 02s.

I'm a rocket scientist by trade. ;-) Fun telling folks that, and the fact it's true. Aero-mechanical engineer by degree. 20+ years on the Shuttle program, since its origin. Now doing systems architect work, including computer systems integration, at one of the big aerospace firms.

Partially paid my way through college as a gas-station employee, earned my way up to mechanic before graduating. Great experience in so many ways. I've always liked hands-on assembly, fab and design work, but also theory - wherever I can tinker or innovate or see results...

Picking a career was a tough decision - with a bit of flip-the-coin at the end, at least for me. I had interests and aptitude in graphics art, architecture, computers, and science/engineering. Have always pondered going in a different direction - "what woulda happened?" - but I've ended up satisfied with what I chose. I still dabble in the interests I didn't pursue for a career. Believe solidly you gotta enjoy what you do.

Good luck in your pursuits/choices (and chances - SO important). If you aren't sure - one possible suggestion early on is to pick a path with 'branch options' as you figure the ultimate direction for yourself out.

HTH,

Tom

• Thanks 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I supervise the installation/commissioning of Steel/Aluminum Rolling Mills, Galvanising, Paint & Pickle Lines and Rod and Bar Mills.

Unless you have a wander lust, or you like India & the East, don't pick this profession.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I'm just curious as to what everyone here does for a living.

I still can't decide on a major in school and I was wondering what other 2002 owners did for work.

Thanks

I was an IT geek. (network manager/systems analyst that sort of thing). I'm going back to school for Electrical Engineering, I couldn't recommend that line of work in IT, unless you enjoy being on call and working in the dead of night.

What do you enjoy doing? what are your interests? Try to go with something

that has interest with you.

• Thanks 1

...you should =

........-= become a NURSE =- .........

and begin the journey in the MILITARY

it's what I'll do in my next life.

if I'm not a cat!

the car business suchs

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Clinical lab tech for the University of Rochester, 13 years as of this March. The department I'm in ( 12 people ) does Alzheimer's Disease clinical trials so I do the blood work for the patients and also some of the trials involve lumbar punctures to collect csf ( cerebrospinal fluid ); collected for biomarkers. as well as blood. Physician assistants perform the lumbar punctures which are done under what's called "fluoroscopy", it's a pretty comfortable method compared to how spinal taps were done many years ago. Anyhow, a physician assistant collects the csf, hands it to me, and I take it from there, generally just aliquoted into smaller vials; I perform blood smears for hematology and centrifuge other tubes blood is collected into, where it's spun down into serum or plasma. Been into vintage/classic bimmers since about 1981, when I was in the US Navy ( 1980-1984 and saw a beautiful euro tii while at a port call in Italy ); came close to buying a really nice Fjord blue '74 2002 in Virginia Beach but bought my first just after getting out of the Navy fall of 1984, a granada red 1970 automatic here in Rochester at a local BMW dealership; have had a number of 2002's, NK 1800ti, 2000, and 2000ti, a couple 320i's and a 735i.

Tim

Currently a defense contractor supporting the Program Manager for the Apache AH-64D. Prior to that, US Army, flew attack helos among other aircraft. Retired from active duty 2004, four years enlisted, twenty six comissioned. Miss the flying and people.

Earl

aka Snakedriver

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volo 1800ES

• Thanks 1

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Nothing!

Retired Professional Engineer in the field of power plant engineering, mechanical division. Upon retirement I was registered in the states of California, Indiana, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Colorado and the Canadian Province of Alberta. Also at one time or another in Hawaii and Texas. Since the company was paying the fees, I now only carry a card from Colorado just in case some help is needed and i need a new radiator!

I bought my 02 in Sept of '71 at the factory (with a full tank of gas) and toured northern Europe/Scandanavia. It was shipped to Honolulu port of entry to the US and lived there til Sept of '74. Shipped to San Diego and toured the west coast, Idaho, Montana and on to Denver where it has had it's home.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I'm the business office coordinator for a level 1 trauma center here in Houston, TX. I oversee the non clinical registration staff for the ER, air ambulance, labor and delivery and our transfer center. I work from 6p-6a 3 days per week and go to school full time. I'm working on a philosophy major - after which I plan to pursue a masters in community health/healthcare administration or a BSN.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

I'm a Pilot for Flight Options. Citation X. I was a car mechanic and bicycle sales man before that. I have also washed dishes, bussed tables, bar backed, scraped lawn mower decks and painted houses. I went to the local community college and actually failed out! Turns out you actually need to go to the classes. I then enrolled myself in Embry Riddle Aeronautical University when I was 24. I eventually graduated. Taught flying for three years before moving on to the job I have now. And that has been a long hard road.

Picking a carear is hard. My suggestion is pick a few that you can think of. Put them in a hat. Pick one. Chase after it till you do it. If you don't like it, start over.

I became a Pilot because I didn't know what else to do.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

As for me I am a sales manger for a plastics manufacture for healthcare application in the OEM market (J & J for example). Before that I was in IT sales for Healthcare enviroment and before that medical lab sales, that's just in the last 10 years.

It might be a good idea to look at what you like doing and/or thinking about that could be applied in a particular industry. Somehow interests in something that piques one mind seem to bubble up to what one has the incentive to do. I was told in college, many, many, years ago that the odds of what you would be doing 10 to 15 years down the road and what you graduate with is about 10% at best. What I have seen is what one initially learns in school is leverage to what you learn after school and what is learn after school is leverage to what one is keenly interested in.

Find things that you don't have any interest and note them, that helps clear a lot of the confusion, make a list of things that allways seem to come of when you were a kid. Find people who do that and ask what is the worst day they have ever had in their job, and see if how it would affect you if you were in their shoes. The good part of a job always shows through in public, people in their haste forget what the worst part can be.

Just my 02 cents.

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

Ski bum.

Became a ski bum in 1976 after graduating as a Landscape Architect. Hand to mouth existence for three years while skiing about 120 days a season. Spent the next 30 years as a contractor and real estate developer during the oil and gas boom/bust cycles here in Alberta and have scaled back to less than half time and one large project that should transition nicely into being a ski bum again.

Ski bums also have evenings free in the winter to take their cars apart and try to put them back together in a still functional form by April. Or change them to fulfill some wild ass vision.

-27c and sunny today. Swix V05 Polar kick wax on classic x country.

Doug

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

If I may offer advice - just keep working at something. The rest will work its self out. I made the mistake of letting my misdirection slow me down. My problem is a strange one - I want to do everything.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i