• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002/ALFA comparisonl

RussTii

Hemmings Sports&Exotic Car has a comparison in it's Feb Issue of a 76 2002 and a 79 Alfa Sprint Veloce. Both are 1 owner cars and kinda sorta matchup. The Alfa is more expensive, heavier, more rust prone, harder to find parts, less reliable, etc. And yet the conclusion is the writers seemed to like the Alfa ??? Apparently the market then as now didn't exactly agree with the esteeemed writers conclusions as Alfa abandoned the US market in what, 1980 ? According to the article this 1 owner car has been in San Diego it's entire life and still had the shock towers rust out due to "lousy Russian steel" .

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

Our shop works on both Alfa's and BMW's. Our race support team supports both at vintage races (usually 4 Alfa's and 2 BMW's). I find getting parts for either marque is about the same. Some parts might be a little more expensive depending on what you are looking for. Having raced both, each has it's own strenghts. An alfa bottom end lasts forever; however after 40k miles, you need new syncros in the tranny. For a street car, I happen to prefer the Alfa GTV. For a track car, I love my 2002!!

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

I'm a Charter subscriber to Hemmings S&EC and read the article.

It left me with the same impression as the OP.

But, while I get the magazine, and have contributed to it in the past, I think you need to consider the source to some extent.

Hemmings entire culture and their bread & butter has mostly been Detroit Iron. Their take on imported stuff is seen through those eyes.

Then, every country of origin has it's own culture too. It's generally agreed that Italian marques posess greater Panache than German ones. German cars are known for other things.

I've own sports cars from Italy, Japan, Britain, Germany and the US, and each has a distinct flavor. Not better or worse, different.

I've driven many Alphas going back to the '70's and in general, they're very nice cars. To me, they always seemed a little fragile and over-engineered. Back in the '70's, I dated a beautiful girl who owned a Giulia. I was constantly fixing it, especially trying to get the Webers to stay dialed-in. She sold the car and dumped me a week later :(

I think the author took a very subjective point of view, giving the Alpha points for things which are mostly insignificant.

Frankly, I'd love to own them both. I can't. But if it was a choice between the two, I'd go with the 2002 without question.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Alfa departed these shores in 1994.

Earl

aka Snakedriver

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Alfas are very cool. Not asbulletproof as a 2002 or nearly anything German made but they are drivers cars with lots of cool engine technology. Twin cam cars were introduced what in the 70s? I wouldntmind one as my 4 th car. Lol.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have both and while I am a true BMW-NUT, I couldn't pass up the red Alfa staring at me from a car lot that bright sunny afternoon. It is so much fun to be regularly mistaken for driving a Ferrari!

As for driving pleasure, I would call them equal in their own right. A a long drive in the country on a nice breezy day = Alfa. A tight twisty road up in the mountains = 2002.

As for maintenance, they are both relatively easy to get parts for. There is a lot of info out there to assist repairs and great forums with knowledgeable members. As for ease of getting to parts - well we all know how easy the 02 is to work on. Not always the case with an Alfa (Spider at least). Those sexy front fenders pull that engine in nice and tight and yes you will bust a knuckle or two ocassionally!

As for transmissions, BMW wins this hands down. If your Alfa doesn't grind 2nd gear you either are skipping it for 3rd or it has been rebuilt LOL. That said, you can rev the daylights out of an Alfa making them very fun to drive.

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

Ha! Well, none that are driven on a regular basis that is for sure! Whenever there is a Cars & Coffee event at the local shop, it is always amazing to see what people have they never drive.

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

Kind of odd to be disparaging Alfa's on the basis of their departure from the U.S. market. I've owned, and currently own, both Alfas and BMWs. Back in the 70's, I owned an Alfa Giullietta Sprint that was a wonderful car and commuted daily in a Alfa Giullietta Spider - both cars were dead nuts reliable as I recall. I currently own an Alfa Spider Veloce in near perfect, trouble-free condition that's a pleasure to maintain. I've also owned a '76 2002 that made a great impression and led eventually to the purchase of my current 1602 euro-spec, which has been a money pit, but I love it nonetheless. I think these cars are to the automotive industry what Apollo and Dionysus were to Greek theater - two distinctly different polarities, as is to be expected given their countries of origin. They evoke different spirits when driven, and aren't actually comparable. Viva la Difference!

That's an odd comparo. That generation Alfa's a real POS.

A GTV and a 2002 are siblings-

each has its strong points.

The Alfa has really nice lines- and a solid rear axle.

The BMW has a stout motor- and rocker arms.

The GTV kicked the 2002's ass in the day- yet more 2002s are

racing today- by a factor of 10.

I'd take whichever was in better shape!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That's an odd comparo. That generation Alfa's a real POS.

A GTV and a 2002 are siblings-

each has its strong points.

The Alfa has really nice lines- and a solid rear axle.

The BMW has a stout motor- and rocker arms.

I'd take whichever was in better shape!

t

agree that is a more fair comparison, to me, the trilogy of desire during my "yout" was: 2002, alfa gtv, 240z. never owned or drove an italian automobille, maybe a 500 is what I have to settle for. The article didn't make sense to me, like comparing apples to oranges, they must be running out of material...

FAQ Member # 91

The article didn't make sense to me, like comparing apples to oranges, they must be running out of material...

Apples and oranges, indeed!

weird.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

t

You need to come to the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca in August. Way more Alfa GTV's racing there than 2002's.

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

You have to admit...they are very pretty cars.....Spent quite a few hours and miles with these guys on California backroads and their smiles were just as big as mine.

CIMG5818.jpg

P4094550.jpg

CIMG5815.jpg

CIMG5820.jpg

CIMG5806.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours