• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas mileage with Duals

nbristow01

assuming the 38's are properly tuned and you do not change your driving style, yep...you are going from 38/38 to 40/40/40/40. even if you choke them down to 30mm and small jets there will be a difference. it may not be much, but...

and then there is the sound factor. dual DCOE intake noise is loud and intoxicating. it will be hard not to drive more aggressively...leading to more fuel usage!

people who are concerned about mpg shouldn't be going down the DCOE road! ;-)

2xM3

..."..what woulod I be compromising in way of mileage?"

lets see - when straying from

the original frugal BMW SOLEX carburetor:

add more throats

add more jets to flow gas

add improperly set up jets & poor air/fuel mixture

add a foot that keeps pressing the pedal

add poorly set ignition timing

add big fat tires

.............. looks like your in for buying more gas in the future

FIA1969BMW14.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

CD's idea or suggestion is that the road to more hp is a slippery slope.

Getting dual DCOE's set in proper tune is a daunting task that can take a long time. There are all those choke sizes, jet sizes, and emulsion tubes..... On a personal note, I have gotten 40's close through dumb luck and a good ignition set up. As I said..... Close and NOT perfect.

Back to CD's comment. More carb, more hp, more speed, more tire (tyre for you Les) you are going to need more seatbelt for safety.

Behold the wisdom of Brother CD.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

C.D's. diagram, very loosely translated refers to the " angle of the dangle ".

1976 2002 Granatrot, Met

1983 320is 28,000 miles

1975 TR6 Race

1974 Checker Cab, Fun

2009 BMW 328i xdrive, Driver

Others that my wife does not know about.

Hamburg, N.Y., Home of the Hamburger

Smoke em if you got em

One of my favorite sayings...

"you've got to pay to play"...

I'm currently running a 38/38 with a 292 cam and 10.5 to 1 pistons. Very happy with the setup but i have been considering side draft 40s. Some people seem to love them and think they are simple. Others seem to say they are impossible to tune perfect. I didn't realize the gas mileage could be all that different but it makes sense it would be a little worse. Seems like it really boils down to how heavy your foot is. I seem to get 25+ with my 38/38 in 5th gear which is more than enough for me...

1973 Sahara 2002

1969 Irish Green 911T

Austin, TX

Well, it depends largely on you and how you drive.

I have a 3.0Cs with triple 40DCOEs, 300 degree cam, 9.5 pistons, headwork, header, etc. I've gotten over 20mpg on trips, driving gently. Normal driving, more like 15 mpg.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

I just got back from a drive.The dual weber 45s are a blast.They sputter a bit and fart at first start but then are great.Tuning is a real challenge for me.

And back to the topic,my milage sucks,teens in town is about it but the rorty fun is worth the extra gas.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Marshall, guess I should stick with my EFI project. i just LOVE he sound of duals but I also know i tend to drive fast which equates to lots of extra gas

You can have it both ways. With EFI, you can haul ass (and drink gas) or cruise nicely and get outstanding mileage.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA