14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Why are these cars so damn addictive

nbristow01

I have owned many many cars. The one that stood up to the most abuse was a 74 Hornet Wagon I had when I was 18. Finally broke the front crossmember jumping curbs.

But the 02....man I just can't get enough of driving it. I can't seem to drive normal anymore. I always have the need to take off as quick as I can from red lights. The car is just zippy. Always seem to go about 5mph or more faster on the freeway than traffic is going. Always seem to take corners faster then needed. When I am cornering hard like in downtown Dallas I drift off into this fantasy about these blonde twins...wait wrong fantasy...I drift off into this fantasy that I am in Germany zipping thru the marktplatz like my uncle used to when his 02 was new and I was a child. Remember that feeling at the go cart track when you are cornering chasing your buddy? I feel that way ALL THE TIME when I am in my 02. It's very obvious BMW got it right but what exactly is IT?

The engineer in me says: light weight, balance, power/weight, gearing, design integration, early advanced technology, visibilty, ergonomics, driver feedback...

The artist in me says: unique looks, body proportions, subtle curves, big greenhouse, color pallette, simplicity...

The enthusiast in me says: the sound, the feel, the involvement, the character...

Tom

The engineer in me says: light weight, balance, power/weight, gearing, design integration, early advanced technology, visibilty, ergonomics, driver feedback...

The artist in me says: unique looks, body proportions, subtle curves, big greenhouse, color pallette, simplicity...

The enthusiast in me says: the sound, the feel, the involvement, the character...

Tom

I love you, man.

Visited Los Angeles in 1976 for a family trip. My uncle said, " I want to take you for a ride in something." It was a brand new 76 2002. I was 15 years old. I was hooked then, and even more so now.

I first rode in one when I was 3, an inka ti, could have been a tii but I really can't remember. When I was about 5 I decided I wanted one when I was older...Finally at 18 I bought a late '71 agave and at 21 a second as a project. I get a big stupid grin on my face every time I drive the '71. It just has such a good combination of looks, low weight, and road feel. Looking back on it that Ti(i) was an uber beater but had the classic 2002 vinyl smell, when i first test drove mine it had the same smell and transported me back to my very early years.

It's the first car I bought and the last car I'd sell.

Tom

Tom -- you nailed it on every level... like poetry. My sense of it is those words probably just rolled on out with little wordsmithing. Nice.

-Marc