• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the first '02 you looked at?

jgerock

I'll never forget this 74tii! It was offered F.S. in San Francisco/Oakland using 2002AD and Bimmer Brothers as the brokers. Pictures of it (may still be) on the 2002AD website were much better than the actual car.

Bluecar2002AD.jpg

I changed my mind and bought the '73 which is now known as "Celeste".

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I was 17 and working at a car lot in Champaign, Illinois; Ken's Kwality Korner. No kidding, that was the name. Anyway, in trade he had taken a 76 polaris sunroof o2 with blue interior. I spent the summer driving around town picking up parts, dropping off and picking up customers. That was the hottest little thing I had driven. In the 33 years since I have owned more cars than I care to count but always had fond memories of that car. For about 8 years in the 90's I had a TR-4A and remember thinking how much further advanced the engine was in that little o2 I had encountered. Now I have a polaris sunroof o2 and will be installing the blue interior just before driving it to V@V 2011 (I hope).

Why the heck am I all of the sudden having trouble uploading pics?

post-16762-13667630606261_thumb.jpg

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

My first 2002 was a 1973 Sahara sunroof non AC. When I was 10 my dad bought it on a used car lot and drove it for a few years and then it sat in the drive way before he gave it to a friend that didn't do anything with it for 5 years so my dad drug it home and chased all the rats out, then we starting working on it. we painted it white had set it up for Auto X. It was finished when I was 17 and I drove it for a few years until I sold it to a friend that crashed it near lake Apopka in Central Florida. He wrapped it around a tree.

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***

Summer '73 a sahara tii in Aguadulce, Panama, I remember exactly the spot and the garage where it was being serviced (dead battery and not charging) - and all the people around it. I was skeptical because my friend told me this odd looking car, was a rocket and his uncle had bought it because of it. It was a new German brand in Panama I had never heard of before, a BM something. The next time was around 1992 on highway 101 going north just after Morgan Hill.

FAQ Member # 91

Summer of 2001 I think... by a scuba shop in Southwest Harbor in Maine (near Bar Harbor where I was working for the summer). I think it was mintgrun and sad looking, might've had a for sale sign in it for like $1200... but I had no way to get it back to Ohio. I didn't know much about them, other than hearing them mentioned on the Miata forum as being great cars. I thought about scheming for a way to get it home, but didn't do it of course. It wasn't until 2006 when I saw one fo rthe 2nd time in Hawaii, and bought it, and actually got it home to Ohio.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

(they're still in business SFAIK). Carol and I were with another couple--she was looking to buy a fancy sports car, and we were there to drive a 2000CS (it was a Polaris 4 speed with a blue velour interior).

I had read about the new 1600s and there was a Granada red one there--what really caught my attention was that the fit and finish on the 1600 was as good as on the 2000CS--and the 1600 was about $2500 vs nearly $6k for the CS. Then I opened the hood and saw a 6V battery (it must have been a leftover 67). I had already been wrestling with two 6V cars in Denver and didn't want another.

Then they went to 12v and came out with the 2002 in the spring of 1968. I got my very own Nevada 2002 (promptly named Wolfgang) in May '69 and have been driving it ever since.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well, I don't even remember what color it was, but in 1977, parked next to the 320i my boss (he of the permed curly hair) just bought, it was the clear winner. Took me until 2001 to get my own ('74 Golf), but it was, of course, worth the wait.

My 1st glimpse of a 2002 was in March of 1973, my father was shopping for a more interesting car than the '68 Falcon he'd picked up cheap. We went to Mt. Adams, overlooking downtown Cincinnati (city of 7 hills). Back then, Mt. Adams was supposedly full of hippies, artists, misfits, etc. The area had not gotten gentrified yet. I saw a '72 Golf Yellow '02 parked along the curb & wondered what was special about it and what the heck was it anyhow?! At nearly 14 y.o., I had not seen/noticed any BMW's before. It wasn't until I started driving it in 1975 that I realized why my father liked it so much. AFAIK, it was the only '02 for miles around. I would have noticed another one on the road surely...

{1st one I looked @ while shopping '02's: a sad '74 Sahara in WV hiding under a dank tarp in some guy's backyard. It barely ran & was a HUGE disappointment. Dad's '02 was NOT like this one. The seller kept thinking that I was haggling when all I wanted to do was leave since I had no interest in buying. $3500 firm -- yeah, right - good luck!!}

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I was 17 and working at a car lot in Champaign, Illinois; Ken's Kwality Korner. No kidding, that was the name. Anyway, in trade he had taken a 76 polaris sunroof o2 with blue interior. I spent the summer driving around town picking up parts, dropping off and picking up customers. That was the hottest little thing I had driven.

You must have been a student at the U of I eh? I know that area well, being from Danville, IL. I bought my '70 Opel GT off a car lot in Champaign, IL circa '71....small world.

BTW, I believe the OP asked what was the first '02 we looked at, not purchased (but it may be the same for some)...my first '02 "viewing" was a rust bucket '74tii with fender flares that I thought might be a Turbo at a run down shop on the side of the road in Reading, PA. The rest is "history" as they say.....

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

BTW, I believe the OP asked what was the first '02 we looked at, not purchased (but it may be the same for some)...my first '02 "viewing" was a rust bucket '74tii with fender flares that I thought might be a Turbo at a run down shop on the side of the road in Reading, PA. The rest is "history" as they say.....

John

Bingo - but still great reading these responses. I have posted before about my first "sighting" back in 1982 of my neighbor's black 74 2002. Being a passenger in that modified car hooked me. I asked the PO about his old car last year and he couldn't remember who he sold it to. I believe the tranny went out for the 2nd time and he sold it and found a wonderful '73? Porsche 911 Targa.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"