• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Have been away from the 02FAQ and the 02 scene for quite a while (probably since about 2002 or 2003), but recently got the itch to get back into my '72 resto mod M2 project. Came across your thread mlytle, and read the whole thread over the course of a couple of days intertwined with work. Great build and am definitely inspired again to get back to work on my own car. Sadly...it's about 8,600 miles away from me in my parents' garage. So, for now...I can just plan until I can get back to her. 

A question though...are you happy with the MAXX AN setup you're running on the S14? On my own car I was originally planning on going with some kind of standalone engine management because I picked up an authentic BMW Motorsport CF DTM airbox a while back as well and would either need to delete the AFM or do a 4" MAF like the Miller. Researching how people like the MAXX setup versus going full standalone. Here's a pic of the airbox from back in the day when I first test fitted it and the S14 into the chassis...

dtmbox1.jpg      

Anyway, thanks for any input. Loving your thread thus far and looking forward to reading more.

Alvin Caragay

Hi Alvin!

nice project!  where is it and where are you!  hope you can get back to it soon!

I have been very happy with the MAXX AN setup.  as noted in this thread, i also have a MAXX chip for the DME with two selectable advance curves.  the AN setup is pretty easy to set up and use.  in closed loop mode it will correct itself to target AFR, or you can tweek the fuel map to minimize the auto-corrections.  has performed extremely well for me during about 1500 street miles and 4000 track miles.

2xM3

Thanks for the info Marshall. Good to know as a possible option when I finally get back to my project. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of selling the original Bosch 071 DME that came with the S14 engine and harness back in 2002 when I bought it. Had a Shark Chip in it and was hell-bent on going standalone at the time. Doh!

I may still go standalone though...as the DTM Airbox I have is actually one of the late model ones and actually has an additional fuel rail and injector bosses molded into the bottom of the intake runners for staged injection. Considering using staged injection at some point once the engine is built enough to need it. Doubt there is a way to run staged injection with the stock DME...

As for my car...well, it is in my parents' garage in Maryland, and me and my family currently are living in Manila, Philippines. Just a bit of a distance...heh.

Moved here from the Los Angeles area about 2.5yrs ago to manage an enthusiast-owned BMW specialty shop here. But, i'm now planning on moving my family back to the US and hoping to get back into the 02 eventually. Unfortunately, "life and responsibility" have gotten in the way of that project since about 2003, but i've always been itching to get back to it. Your thread gave me even MORE motivation to do so...so THANKS! :D

Edited by mpowered02

• 2 months later...

been a while, but got back at the CF hood project.  the third one arrived, again, not bolt on ready, but could make this one work.  several hours of putting it on, taking off, cutting, sanding, putting back on, lather, rinse, repeat.  thankfully Jim G stopped by to aid in the repeated placement.

had to remove about a half inch off the back corners, bend the rear latch catches, and enlarge the holes on the hood hinges.

20150703_150353.jpg

20150703_150358.jpg

20150703_150414.jpg

20150703_150417.jpg

even had to trim the ends of the hood latch rod a bit....

20150703_150444.jpg

20150703_155925.jpg

20150703_155935.jpg

20150703_160014.jpg

20150703_155914.jpg

kinda fits ok now.  will leave it like it is for the next month for track events.

now i gotta start the trunk lid fitting.  that will be more diffcult.  will get both painted together later in the fall.

2xM3

today's project...replacing some CV joints.  assembled the needed parts/tools

new cv joints

new bmw boot kits (comes with both caps, rubber boot, hylomar, grease and snap ring)

i am not using the stock grease, so one can of redline cv-2 (good for 2-3 repacks)

boot clamp pliers

snap ring pliers

lots of paper towels and latex gloves

20150704_144916.jpg

not a hard job.  two done.

20150704_160403.jpg

next four weekends will all be spent at the track.  this weekend in the e30 race car, next three instructing with the 2002.  time to convert the 02 back to track mode tomorrow.

20150704_162942.jpg

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...

I regret a lot of decisions every time I come into this thread and watch your videos. Like selling Ryan my s14. 

What was I thinking? Was I even thinking? 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Any comment from me regarding the above statements would be biased, and thus, not valid.

All I can say is that I hope my 02 sounds just like Marshall's when it grows up.

Edited by RCM3

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal