• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Well, this escalated, if not quickly, a lot. I don´t know if anyone else is interested, but I am: Could you make a list of the upgrades your 02 has undergone, and post it in the first post? Maybe give them a "score" as well? There is just such a gigantic amount of knowledge, and testing in this thread, by someone who clearly knows what he is doing. What would you have done with a street driven car? What is the most important stuff? I guess this could be an article in stead. Since we are all upgrading and changing, regretting, rebuilding and tinkering at all times, maybe a "recipe for good 02s" should be made. 

Anyways: Extraordinary work, and an amazing car. 

Just an example:

S14 - Only recommended for track driven cars, 7/10

Ground Control coilovers - Big impact on handling, worth the money 10/10

Big Willwood brakes - too big rotors, 320i rotors with good calipers just as good, 2/10

good idea....will have to do that sometime....

test fit CF hood today

2014-11-22_15-04-05_944.jpg

2014-11-22_15-03-38_559.jpg

2014-11-22_15-03-50_432.jpg

some issue with the locations of the tapped holes for hinges and the rear center support...working with vendor on it.

2014-11-22_15-02-22_247.jpg

2014-11-22_15-15-08_473.jpg

2014-11-22_15-14-51_730.jpg

2014-11-22_15-01-46_984.jpg

it weighs 20lbs less than the steel hood.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Are you going to paint it so it looks like a regular hood?

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Are you going to paint it so it looks like a regular hood?

yup.  Zinnorot to match the rest of the car.

will do after I get all the fitment issues worked out.  going to use that "stick on" beltline trim.  still want the car to look kinda sorta stock from the outside.

Needs 4.10.

:P

i am checking your boxes....you should be saying "needs a 2.5" by now!

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Hmm I think the original GB let us specify whether the pieces were drilled for trim.

... I think the flavor is 2.7 liters now!

;)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Hmm I think the original GB let us specify whether the pieces were drilled for trim.

... I think the flavor is 2.7 liters now!

;)

yes...drill for trim an option.  i opted not, but there are little marks all along the inside of the edges where holes could be drilled.  would be ez.

2.7....yeah that's the next "needs a....."  :D

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...

continued the spring perch move.  drilled the other lower perch off, then modified them a bit.  i will be using GC rubber spring cups which are flat on the bottom, so had to get rid of the "bump" in the stock perches that aligns the stock lower rubber.  basically cut the metal arch, flattened it, then trimmed off the little extra.  stock on top in pic, flattened on bottom.

2014-12-06_15-41-10_393.jpg

light touch with a welder to seal the edges, then ground flat.

2014-12-06_16-57-27_402.jpg

2014-12-06_16-57-36_501.jpg

then test fit the IE indexed trailing arm adjusters.

2014-12-06_17-14-13_966.jpg

2xM3

chock this one up to...make sure you do nut and bolt checks on EVERYTHING!!  in this case, i did not recheck the 5/16-24 bolts that hold the brake disks to the rear rotor hats after i installed in spring.  (they did not have locktite on them) pulled off the RR tire to start taking the subframe off and found this...

2014-12-14_12-33-51_649.jpg

all the bolts were GONE except one.  the one was completely unscrewed and jammed in the rotor.  miraculously, there was no damage.  not even the tapped holes in the hat were munged up.  looked like someone had just taken the bolts out.

2014-12-14_12-34-01_642.jpg

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Eeek. Mine had those copper locknuts on originally. And I put nylock ones on when I replaced the discs. What nuts were on yours?

... my 2 LS radiator bolts backed out this year. Luckily caught it before lunching the radiator!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

no nuts...the rotor hats are tapped for the bolts.  blind holes. the second picture is of the inside of the rotor hat.

eek is right.  still shocked there wasn't all kinds of damage, nor did i hear any odd noises last time i drove it.

2xM3